Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with DTC P2430. Is there a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with DTC P2430. Is there a way I can bypass the Air Injection Pressure Sensor?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

No, you cannot bypass it. I would just replce it but if you leave it as is it wont cause any damage. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

P2430 Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Sensor Stuck In Range - With Automatic Transmission

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • AIR pressure sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, moisture)
  • AIR pressure sensor signal circuit is open
  • AIR pressure sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground or shorted to voltage
  • AIR pressure sensor reference circuit is open
  • AIR pressure sensor low reference circuit is open
  • AIR control/shut-off valve assembly has failed
  • ECM has failed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I must clear idiot lamp because car won't pass emissions test in this state. What is it that needs to be replaced? Do I need to remove any of exhaust system to change it? Could it just be the relay at fault? There are 3 types of SCD-AIR INJN relays listed, how do I know which one I need if the relay is suspect? Are you sure I can't just use resistor to bypass sensor? :(
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here are instructions to replace. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could you please tell me what needs to be replaced? I am told that the entire air pressure sensor unit needs to be replaced, and the part alone is $250. Can you verify that there is no cheaper solution? What part # XXXXX I need, can I buy it myself?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I can give you instructions that the dealership woudl use to diagnose the part, but it is quite a bit of testing and a scantool is required. The part that likely needs to be replaced is the part in the above replacement instructions. You can buy it yourself but at this point you may be better off bringing vehicle to dealership so they can use scantool to verify problem. You will probably need to get this from the dealership and I do not have the part # XXXXX Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The part and DTC have already been diagnosed by dealer. I don't have money to replace part, looking for alternative way to shut off CE light so car can pass emissions inspection. GM is not willing to pay for part. You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I was hoping to find a way to disable this stupid sensor.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Its not possible to disable....but I understand and you dont need to accept but I need to be the last one to reply. A resistor wont work because the value of the sensor changes so if it was just one fixed value the light would come back on anyway. Thanks