Matt J
Matt J, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes
14582819

2000 bonneville: doesnt work..door lock..power mirror

Customer Question

my 2000 bonneville passenger side window doesnt work or door lock or power mirror and also when opening the same door inside light doesnt come on and no door chime
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Do you have a test light and/or volt meter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i have a test light
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Remove the rear back seat to gain access to the fuse block. Locate the PASS MDL 10 Amp fuse and verify if it is blown or not.

If the fuse is not blown use you test light and make sure you have power there.

Let me know what you found out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
checked fuse fuse is good i also have power to the fuse
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Go to the Door Control Module, there are 2 Orange wires. Connect the test light lead to a clean metal surface and test both of those wires for power. Does the test light light?

Now connect the test light lead to battery positive and check 2 ground wires. Does the test light light up?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
test light lit up on the two orange wires light lit up on the ground wires also
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the long delay.

From what it looks like you either have a bad Drivers Door Module or there is a open in the simple bus serial data circuit between the Drivers Door Module and the Passenger Door Module.

Since you do not have a scan tool the only other way to verify what the cause is to remove all 4 door panels and unhook all 4 door modules. Then test to see if you have an open or short in the simple bus serial data circuit.

The Drivers Door Module sends a signal to the other door modules to wake up or turn on. With out this signal the other door modules will not work.

Let me know if you want to remove all the door panels and do this test. If you do I will guide you though the test.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i want to do the test
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

First step remove all 4 door panels and unplug the door modules.

Now hook the test light to battery positive and touch it to slot A4 Tan/White wire at the connector for the drivers door module. Does the test light light?

Object Number: 73152  Size: CH

Now go to the passenger door module, find slot 15 Tan/White wire, take a piece of wire stick it in slot 15, and ground the other end to a clean piece of metal. Now touch the test light to the same slot as the first test Slot A4. Doe the test light light?

Object Number: 153648  Size: CH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did both tests. each location lit up the tester
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Just to make sure. With all 4 door modules unhooked, the teat light lead hook to battery positive, and the test light touching Slot A4 (not Slot B4) The test light lit up correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

One last test just to make sure.

Hook the test light to battery positive and touch it to slot 15 Tan/White wire at the connector for the passenger door module connector. Does the test light light?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
slot 15 did not light up tester
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

That is odd. It lights up when touching A4 on the drivers side, but when touching slot 15 on the passenger side it does not.

With that being said It looks like the Tan/White wire is rubbed open and it is grounding out some times.

Redo the 1st test and see if the test light lights avian. If it does leave the test light connected so you can see the light, now go over and move the door and wiggle the wire harness around, does the test light go out or blink?

If it does not light this time do the same thing as above and see if the light comes on or flickers on and off.

Hook the test light to battery positive and touch it to slot A4 Tan/White wire at the connector for the drivers door module.

If the light goes of or comes on when moving the door or wire harness then you have a short to ground in the harness and you will need to follow the Tan/White wire until you find the short.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im sorry when i ran the test on drivers door tan and white wire at a4 WITH POSITIVE TO TEST LIGHT I DONT HAVE POWER THERE I WAS IN WRONG SLOT
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Just to make sure I am clear on this since it has been a while.

Teat light lead connected to battery positive.

Touching Slot A4 at Drivers door - Test light does not light.

Touching Slot 15 at Passengers door - Test light does not light

Touching Slot A4 at Drivers Door, a wire connected to Slot 15 at Passengers door, and the wire grounded to the body - The test light does light.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
touching slot a4 at drivers door -test light does not light touching slot 15 at passenger door- test light does not light touching slot a4 at drivers door a wire connected to slot 15 at passenger door and grounded to body -test light does not light.
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Touching slot A4 at drivers door a wire connected to slot 15 at passenger door and grounded to body -test light does not light.

There is your problem, you have a open/cut in the wire between the Splice point and the passenger door connector.

Most likely it is in the passenger door area. Start at the connector and follow the Tan/White and see if you can find the broken wire.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
been away for a while with my job.spliced in a wire at tan and white wire at slot a4 drivers plug to slot 15 plug and passenger window works. does this wire run direct from a4 to slot 15 or does it run threw something in between?also my drivers window worked before now it doesnt work .i dont know why it isnt working now it has a new regulator in it.is there some way to test to make sure im getting power to it.thank you
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

The Tan/White Runs from the Drivers Door Module to a splice point then branches off to the other 3 doors. The problem in the wire is from the splice point to the passenger door. But Since the Drivers door just stopped undo the splice you just put in and see if it starts working again. Some times if the Tan/White wire can shorting out at a different spot like between the splice and the driver rear door. This can cause something else to act up/ Serial Data lines can make weird things happen.

If you undo everything you have do so far and the driver window still does not work. Go to the splice point cut the wire that goes to the passenger door and run a new wire from there to see if everything works again.

If not then we will diagnose the drivers door.

graphic