FIXITMAN, Mater Technician

2003 Pontiac Bonneville: v6..service engine light..speedometer

I have 2003 Pontiac Bonneville v6 3800 have been getting the p0442 code service engine light on and reset it twice in the last month. But just before clearing it the last time the speedometer when driving goes up to 100mph at city driving of 30 mph and also the gas gauge now has stayed at 1/2 - 3/4 for the last 200 miles. Any thoughts?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer when the light is turned off how long does it take before it comes back on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When It first came on the wife had just fueled the car and she told me that the check engine light came on after she started to drive away, i then changed the oil and read the codes assumed it was the gas cap not on right that was a month ago and has been putting gas in for the month untill yesturday she had put gas in and stated the same thing happened with the check engine light, but also noticed that the gas gauge has not moved and the speedometer was running at 100 mph in a 30 mph zone I went to drive it and the same thing with the speedometer and the gas gauge. checked the codes and was p0442
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
Okay. WHen this code continues to come up after refueling then it is usually the gas cap. I would replace the gas cap. As for the other issues this is usually an internal short in the instrument cluster. This can typically be rebuilt or replaced.