Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified/40 years experience

The vehicle is stationary it only blows cold air..blew..electrical

My heater will only blow hot air when the car is moving. when the vehicle is stationary it only blows cold air. my battery blew up this summer and i had to replace it, could this be a related electrical problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

After a battery blowing up any kind of electrical failure is possible,but your problem sounds more like a coolant flow problem.By this I mean that the heater core hose comming from the engine has a restricted flow that does not allow the heater core to get hot at idle.When driving the coolant flow is faster & will over come some obstructions.Sometimes one can pull the heater hoses & flush the heater core to repair this problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats great i'll give it a shot. i'm not much of a mechanic but i am on a budget and i would like to give it a try myself, so how do go about that and what do i flush it with? but i should also have mentioned that in conjunction with this problem, the button that switches the air circulation from outside to inside the vehicle is also broken, when i press it the led will flash then immediatly switch back to the outside intake with no change in airflow. is this related? or a seperate electrical malfunction?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The inside /outside air is a separate electrical malfunction,you should still get heat.I would use some of the radiator flush chemical s from your local parts store,drain a little coolant if necessary put in the flush & go for a good drive down the highway with the heat on.Come back & drain the coolant ,pull one of the heater hoses going into the heater core at the easiest position & use a garden hose to flush it.