FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2006 pontiac g6: steering wheel..a recall on this common problem

My daughter owns a 2006 Pontic G6, and I recently noticed a scary sound while turning the steering wheel. Since then I have found many serious complaints about it online, but no one seems to be sure if there's a recall on this common problem. Is there? How dangerous is it for her to drive? Does the owner have to pay for the repair, IF it can be repaired??
HelloCustomer can you describe the noise? Does the power steering fail when this happens?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
(First of all, my daughter lives 4 hours away from me, so I rarely see the car and have only driven it for about 15 minutes when she visited me last week.) I heard and felt a clicking noise while turning the steering wheel in either direction at slow speeds. Online I have read many people stating the same thing, although some of them actually had their steering lock up on them as they drove! This didn't happen to me, nor has it happened to my daughter, thank God, but there does appear a message on her radio screen that says "power steering" (which other people noted also). The mechanics at Sears took it for a test drive and noticed the sound and felt it too.
Okay. This sounds like the typical problems with the GM electric power steering system. It is very common to get these types of noises when the system is becoming worn. It is usually accompanied with a sudden loss of power assists. Unfortunately there is no recall on this. I am still waiting for them to do this. If the vehicle is not under warranty then you will be stuck paying to have this fixed. It typically costs about $1000 to fix.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me if I should trust Sears to do the job properly? I realize you have no idea who will work on it and how good a mechanic they are, but I guess what I'm asking is...Is it a simple job that any decent mechanic should be able to handle? And does their estimate of 4 - 5 hours to "get in there and get to the problem" sound reasonable? Or should I take it to a Pontiac dealer for this service, assuming (?) that they are more familiar with it and have experience fixing it?
I would take the vehicle to the dealer or to a shop that has done this before. The job should only take about 2-3 hours to complete.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You have been very helpful, answering my questions in a general way. Could I ask you for just a little more specific description, not a detailed one, of exactly what is is the mechanic should be looking for and/or doing when he gets to it? The reason I'm pursuing this is that there's only 1 small Pontiac dealer in my county (rural upstate New York) and I'm not sure they have a very extensive service department! So if I can print out your answers and show them to a mechanic,whether it be Pontiac or back to Sears, I'd feel much better! I really appreciate your time and will give you a positive rating!! (And pay you, of course!)
The noise that you are getting it typically either one of the steering position sensors or the electric motor. Most of the time the problem is in the motor. On this vehicle though none of the electric steering parts can be changed seperately. They all only come as the steering column. If the noise is coming from the steering column then this is the issue. If you take to to the delaer they will know what to do. If you have Sears do it I would ask them first if they had ever done this before, because if it is not done correctly it can cause other issues,