john aka eaut
john aka eaut, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

2001 pontiac grand prix gt: cylinder..the fuel filter..coil pack

2001 pontiac grand prix gt 3.8 I have a miss fire on my #2 cylinder, changed plugs and wires and it ran ok for a day then started running bad again. took the fuel filter off and it was near plugged so i replaced that and when i started it the code went away and ran good for about 200 miles, then the light came back on and it started running bad again. changed the coil pack and no difference. i have also took out the #2 injector and cleaned it, and put it back in and it still idled bad, then i swapped #2 for the #5 and #2 still didnt fire and #5 did. i haven't really noticed much power loss while am driving, so im not sure if its still miss firing as i drive, im not sure if running 1 cylinder down would make a bigdifference in the power, but the code stayes active. i have not taken it to a ship yet cuz i do not want to pay for a diagnostic for a valve job, id buy a rebuilt engine before paying for an expensive valve job.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 7 years ago.
do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i do not have access to the gauge
i would rent one most parts stores rent them im thinking you have a weak cylinder or a burnt valve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what would have caused my car to run good after i changed the fuel filter, but then run bad again after a few hundred miles?

well it could be a coincidence

it could be a bad injector or loss of injector pulse ....it could be contamination in the fuel rail .....could be a burnt valve or stuck ring.... some troubleshooting will be required