zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

1998 Pontiac Bonneville: wont battery..cables..wont even

Customer Question

1998 Pontiac Bonneville, wont start, new battery checks good , all cables seem to be good, wont even crank, no noise when key is turned
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
Is there any type of security light flashing?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
Do you know if anything else is working? Like lights or anything?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all lights , radio , everything on dash is working
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.

Ok, the problem is most likely the starter but to be sure you would need to check to see if the starter is getting power on the large and small terminal while trying to start the engine. If there is power on both the starter is bad, you may be able to get it to turn by lightly tapping it while someone tries to start the engine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you tell me where to locate the starter on this particular car
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
The starter is right in the front of the car on the side of the engine. its between the radiator and the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is it accessible from the top with the hood open or do I have to get up under the car?

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
You might be able to see it from the top but you will need to go from under the vehicle to test it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok I think I have located it. Does it have a belt attached to It and how do I test it? I do thank you for your help, obviously I am not a mechanic.

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
The starter does not have a belt on it, it has wires to it and there will be a large terminal and a very small one, if you have a test light just ground one end and touch the other to the terminals if the light comes on it has power (be sure someone is turning the key trying to start the engine). If you do not have a test light just tap on the starter and see if it will crank, if it does the starter is bad.