Experience:  GM WORLD CLASS, ASE master tech w/L1 advacned driveablity, bumper to bumper GM 13yrs experance

2002 pontiac grand am: service engine soon light and trac..light come

Customer Question

2002 pontiac grand am. service engine soon light and trac off light come on and stay on. whats the problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  MPMoore replied 7 years ago.
You will need to find out what code is stored in the pcm. Most auto parts stores will check the code for free. We can not go any futher unless we know the code. The trac light off is due to a code stored in the pcm. when that is fixed, the light should turn off.
Let me know what code is stored.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nobody would check the trac off light.but they told me the check engine light was on because of misfires.
Expert:  MPMoore replied 7 years ago.
The trac off light is on due to the misfires. When this is fixed the light will go off. Most common cause for the misfire is the spark plugs and plug boots that go between the coils and the plugs.
Does the engine run rough or lack power.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the engine lacks power,runs rough
Expert:  MPMoore replied 7 years ago.
Then your going to need to do a complete tune up. You should replace the coils and the coil housing. The coils can cause this problem and should be replaced, also the spark plugs and the boots. There are all located under the top engine cover. There is also a ingition module under this cover that sometimes can cause this issue, but I would try the coils and the yune-up first.

Object Number: 388405  Size: SH

Object Number: 388406  Size: SH