Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified
5720312

2001 aztek: rear hatch..park..the BCM fuse..next time

Customer Question

2001 aztek. the rear hatch will do the following things.

Pops open after driving when placed into park after stopping.

The remote rarely works, and will work for a short time when the BCM fuse is removed and replaced.

Often the release works once ok, then gets a little worse the next time, after the third or fourth time thats it no nothing.

The key rarley works.

Also, the left hatch does not seem to close as consistently as the the right one does. The stoppers are in place.

These were the codes logged into the history for the BCM b1477 2587 2617 2627 2665 3101 3102 3103 3841 3857

Look forward to any suggestions.

Sincerely Shawn.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome. do you know if you have any u codes in any of the other control modules? like ecm or abs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, there were 2 U codes

U1147 and U1153

The other coeds were

PO 446 and PO1189

The check engine light just came back on so I need to look at the codes to confirm things further.

All of the codes in the initial E mail were from the history. They were cleared to re confirm any of them.

Thanks Shawn.
Ok, code p0446 is for the vent solenoid, and code p1189 is for the oil pressure sensor. both of these codes are non related to the hatch problem. but normally when there are U codes in other control modules other than the bcm, with the problem you are having with the rear hatch. you are probably have a bad BCM, which on this vehicle is real common. U codes are communication codes, If the BCM is not communicating with other control modules like the abs and engine control module, then other modules will set u codes
Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I confirm the BCM is the problem. They are 310.00 so I need to be confident when I tell the customer this is the solution.

PS I am willing to pay more for your continued help, no worries their.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This a copy of the conversation

2001 aztek. the rear hatch will do the following things. Pops open after driving when placed into park after stopping. The remote rarely works, and will work for a short time when the BCM fuse is removed and replaced. Often the release works once ok, then gets a little worse the next time, after the third or fourth time thats it no nothing. The key rarley works. Also, the left hatch does not seem to close as consistently as the the right one does. The stoppers are in place. These were the codes logged into the history for the BCM b1477 2587 2617 2627 2665 3101 3102 3103 3841 3857 Look forward to any suggestions. Sincerely Shawn.

Optional Information:
Year : 2001
Make : Pontiac

(Online) -- 1 Accept / 1 Question
var addthis_brand = "JustAnswer";var addthis_header_color = "#ffffff"; var addthis_header_background = "#1b92AB"; Email1 Answer Accepted
Info Request
10/8/2009 at 7:33 PM (4 hours and 12 minutes and 16 seconds later)
Your Reply
10/8/2009 at 7:54 PM (21 minutes and 4 seconds later)
yes, there were 2 U codes

U1147 and U1153

The other coeds were

PO 446 and PO1189

Thanks Shawn.
Answer
10/9/2009 at 6:46 AM (10 hours and 52 minutes and 26 seconds later)
ACCEPTEDCheck Mark

Did you know that JustAnswer has Experts in over 100 categories ONLINE NOW?
Ask another question now and get 25% OFF your refundable deposit.

Your Reply
10/9/2009 at 12:24 PM (5 hours and 37 minutes and 43 seconds later)

do you have a scan tool that can read bcm data and can control outputs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning.

Yes I can barrow the scanner again today. What do I need to look for ?

Thanks Shawn.
need to read the liftgate data in the bcm. first check the imputs from the liftgate signals. while opening and closing liftgate that the left and right liftgate latches switch from inactive status to active status. if both of these liftgate latch switches check ok, try commanding the liftgate with scan tool.let me know how this checks out, if you need any mor help or instructions let me know

Scan Tool Parameter

Data List

Units Displayed

Typical Data Value

Ignition ON/ Engine OFF/ Vehicle in PARK

Lift Glass Relay

Output

ON/OFF

OFF

LH Lift Glass Ajar Switch

Input

Active/Inactive

Inactive

RH Lift Glass Ajar Switch

Input

Active/Inactive

Inactive

Rear Release Switch

Input

Active/Inactive

Inactive

Scan Tool Output Control

Additional Menu Selection(s)

Description

Lift Glass Relay

Lift Glass Release

The BCM pulses the lift glass actuators when you select on. The lift glass should open.

Scan Tool Data Definitions Lift Glass Relay: The scan tool displays On/Off. The output of the lift glass release is displayed.

LH Lift Glass Ajar Switch: The scan tool displays Active/Inactive. The state of LH lift glass actuator is displayed.

RH Lift Glass Ajar Switch: The scan tool displays Active/Inactive. The state of the RH lift glass actuator is displayed.

Rear Release Switch: The scan tool displays Active/Inactive. The state of the rear key switch is displayed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The acuators seem to be operating correctly for about 3 or 4 times then they just stop.

If I pull the BCM fuse to reset the BCM then they will function for a short time again.

The Park lamp do not light even though they are getting a command as viewed through the scanner.

Also the dash lights will not light intermetently.

This vehical has a dead battery condition intermitently and I am wondering if this is all related to the BCM as you had mentioned earlier.

You can call me if this will help things out XXX-XXX-XXXX

I take it the BCM is the in between guy so to speak.
all these problems can be caused by a bad bcm. normally in most cases with several electrical problems, turns out being a bad bcm. the only other common problem with these azteks are bad ingnition switches. at this point, I would check thd power and grounds to the bcm, if all checks ok. 99 percent sure the bcm will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.
I am looking at the BCM connectors to check power and grounds as you suggested. I am using AllData for this info. I will follow up with you and get you taken care of.

This stuff is new to me so I am learning along the way too, thanks for the info.

Talk to you ASAP

Thanks Shawn.
no problem. sounds like you ar being very thorough, which is a good thing. just let me know how you come out