Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

95 TRANS-AM LT-1 WITH A 4L60E...4TH..REBUILD

Customer Question

OK, 95 TRANS-AM LT-1 WITH A 4L60E. . ONE DAY THERE WAS JUST NO 3RD OR 4TH AT ALL. PULLED TRANS, INSTALLED A FRESH REBUILD FROM A SHOP ON EBAY. WENT THE EXTRA MILE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD UP TO 550HP. GREAT FOR 95 MILES THEN I FELT A SHUDDER IN 4TH. I STOPPED, CHECKED THE FLUID IT WAS FINE. GOT BACK IN DRVE DOWN THE ROAD AND NO 3RD OR 4TH. PULLED TRANS SENT IT BACK TO GUY IN FLORIDA. HE GETS IT TEARS IT DOWN AND TELLS ME YES 3RD AND 4TH BANDS WERE BURNT, BUT HE HAD NO IDEA WHY. SAID HE CHANGED SOMETHING ELSE IN THERE JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. TODAY I PUT IT BACK IN. NO FFFFFFFFNNNNNNNN 3RD OR 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FROM THE START. JUST FOR THE RECORD THESE HAVE ALL BEEN PERFECT QUALITY PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATIONS. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

I have ran into that exact same problem before, and then replacing the case fixed the problem, you may have just lost 3-4th from the first and then the new trans did the same from a tweeked trans case, either way good up to 550hp I would want to see in writting and what parts he put into it as well.

I had the exact same problem in our 2003 mustang.

You may want to use another trans shop.

What kind of convertor did you put into it and did you put a new one in with the new trans as most trans shops require that to be done as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
  • THIS IS WHAT THEY CLAIM THEY DID. THEY SUPPLIED THE CASE. THEY DID NOT USE MY OLD ONE.
        • Transtex master kit with Borg-Warner Clutches
        • New Kevlar band
        • New teflon sealing rings
        • New gaskets
        • New Seal Power filter
        • 29 Element Sprag
        • Blocked off accumulators
        • Stage Two Transgo Shift Kit
        • Aluminum Corvette Servo
        • Hardened Sun Shell (The Beast)
        • 500 Boost Valve
        • Hardened Pump Rings
        • Torque Converter Limted Time Only
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Torque Converter Limted Time Only??????????

That part confuses me, did they send you a new one?

I am worried about the case are you sure they did not use yours like you received the new one and then shipped yours back to them as a core or did they require you to ship your old to them first?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THEY DID NOT REQUIRE A CORE. I STILL HAVE THE LAST ONE I TOOK OUT. IN THE BEGINING THEY GAVE ME A NEW T-CONVERTER BUT AFTER SENDING THEM BACK THERE TRANS THEY TOLD ME TO JUST PUT THE T-CONVERTER THEY SENT ME NEW BACK IN IT AFTER THEY SAID THEY REPAIRED THE 3RD 4TH CUTCHES.
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
I am thinking you may just have gotten a bad case from them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH AND I HAVE FOUND THAT THIS VEHICLE IS WHAT THEY CALL A TRANSITION VEHICLE. LATE 94 AND 95 WAS WHEN THEY WERE MAKING THE OBD2 STANDARD. MY CAR IS ONE THAT HAS AN OBD1 COMPUTER WITH AN OBD2 PLUG. I HAVE NOT COME ACROSS A SCANNER THAT WILL SCAN THIS CAR. THE LOCAL TRANS SHOP SAYS THEY UNDERSTAND THE ISSUE AND HAVE THE PROPER SCANNER TO CHECK THE CODES. THE CAR IS THERE NOW. I DROPPED IT OFF TONIGHT SO WHEN HE GETS TO IT WELL KNOW EXACTLY WHATS UP. IT COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS A RELAY. BUT I DOUBT IT. ANYWAY WITH OUT SOME MORE DATA WHERE ALL JUST GUESSING. ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS GOES.
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
keep me updated I will be here if you need any further help.