zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

2003 Pontiac Grand Am: automatic transmission..pan..transmission fluid

My 2003 Pontiac Grand Am automatic transmission needed a transmission fluid and filter change.   The shop took pan off bottom of engine, put in new fluid and filters and resealed it. When I got it home, it leaked transmission fluid on the garage floor, so I took it back and they resealed it and it still leaked. I drove it about 6 weeks while out of town, but keep putting transmission fluid in it. When I came back into town, the shop owner took it to Mr. Transmission to see what was wrong. He said that the clutches had been burned and the transmission had to be rebuilt. It seems to me that this problem was caused by the shop owner not sealing it correctly to begin with; would you agree? He wants to blame it on my occasionally towing it behind my RV. Either way, is it worth replacing or should I just trade it in on a new car? .
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
If the trans was run low on fluid (because of the leak) that could have caused the problem but towing a auto trans behind a RV also could have caused the problem. I guess weather or not to keep it or repair it would depend on the condition and mileage on the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The manufacture says towing is ok for this car. Are you saying that towing an automatic transmission shouldn't be done? The car is in good condition except for the transmission problem. Have 70,000 miles on it, good tires, a few but no major dings, doesn't burn oil or anything, has air conditioning.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
I have never seen a auto trans that can be towed without some kind of pump to help circulate the fluid or with the drive wheels off the ground. I would say a vehicle with that low of mileage and in good condition it would be worth fixing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
"I have never seen a auto trans that can be towed . . . " Even when the owner's manual says it can be towed, "as is?"
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
If that is what it says it may be true and I am not a towing or RV expert so it is possible but I have never heard of this with a auto trans.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since the manufacturer clearly states this car can be towed, do you think we have recourse to the shop owner who wants to blame the problem on towing it? We think he caused the problem when he changed the transmission fluid, which started the leak in the first place. BTW, there are many cars with automatic transmissions that can be towed; they are listed in magazines for motor home owners.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
You may have some recourse but I think it would be a tough case in court but possibly if you show this towing information to the trans shop they will see things your way.
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic