Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

1998 Pontiac: trouble code p1665, I have is for my van

I have a 1998 Pontiac transport Montana. I have a trouble code P1665, I have found about 4 different answers to what this means. None of them say that it is for my van. What does it mean?

Hello & Welcome,

Just to verify, do you have the 3.4L engine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is a 3.4

Hi again,

Hopefully I can get this to you, as I have been having network issues.

Here is a chart for that particular code, and yes, this is for your specific vehicle & engine. This code is the circuit, not necessary any particular part, so make sure the wiring is tested.

The link below is a PDF file and you should be able to click on the link to view the file on your computer and print it out. The second link is the procedure to replace the canister, but I have included it ONLY to show you where it is.

P1665 Chart

EVAP Canister

Please let me know what you find or if you need more information.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will this code keep the van from starting?

I don't believe it would, at least not the code, but there could be other issues with the fuel system, which this is a part of.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My code readers says "fuel level output circuit"

Do you have the actual code for that one?

Any other codes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That was the P1665. I had a P0440 code that said it was the canister, put it cleared and the P1665 did not clear. I am using a brand new Autoxray Code scout 2500 to read the code.
I don't have that particular scan tool, but I am wondering if there is a setting for a particular manufacturer (GM) to decode the codes about 1000? I think they may be specific to brand.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It Ford, Dodge, GM, etc. I am reading it under GM.
I don't know why it is giving you that message for the 1665 code. The description I gave you is right from the factory manual. Perhaps the software inside the tool is wrong or needs to be updated? I checked the autoxray site and it says that updates are available via the internet.