Scott K
Scott K, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM and Pontiac Experience ASE Master Certified W/L1

2001 Sunfire: I am replacing a blown head gasket..lift..bolt..tight

I am replacing a blown head gasket on a 2001 Sunfire got everything broken down/taken off and the head will not lift off. Is there a hidden bolt or something that I'm not seeing or is the head gasket just sealed that tight in between? Is there another way to get the head off so that I can replace the blown gasket?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

Is the engine the 2.2L or the 2.4L?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a 2.2L (OHV)...The head is sealed tight as if it was welded to the block and will not budge so that I can get to the blown head gasket. I tried PB blaster and can't loosen the head from the block. All the bolts/nuts have been removed from the head. Any advice/recommendations?
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.
This isn't the "ecotech" engine is it? Double overhead Cams?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it is the 2.2L (OHV) over head valve
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

The head sits on a couple of dowel pins and as you have found out has glued itself to the block, I would use a pry bar between the head and block, look around the perimter of the head and there should be a couple of relief points to allow you to use the pry bar to pry it up. A relief point is where the either there is a cut out section in the head or a raised portion on the allowing a gap to be between the head and block.

Below is a diagram of the bolts to make sure you have them all out

Object Number: 183438  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have used a chisel to try and pry it loose but it still will not budge. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.
Try using the chisel as a wedge while placing a long bar in the outside exhaust manifold holes pulling upward.