Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

my tcc solenoid keeps going out on my 2000 pontiac grand prix

my tcc solenoid keeps going out on my 2000 pontiac grand prix se with a 3.8 litre what would keep burning this out?
First of all you want to make sure you are replacing with OEM parts from the dealership aftermarket parts sometimes do not hold up with certain things and that could be the case. Otherwise you will need to do a resistance test between solenoid and computer to verify there is no resistance problem if so fix wiring if not replace computer. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how can I do a resistance test...does this mean i have to tear the tranny apart again to test the solenoid or is there some way i can do it without?

You could backprobe the wire going into the transmission but this would be as accurate of a test you would rather do it directly from the solenoid harness. You will need to buy a voltmeter to do this test, here is a wire diagram let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
here is what happened, my car was making a whining noise that went up and down with the rmps, it did it occassionally until i was driving on the highway and it would not drive, it acted as if it were in neutral, my check engine light began flashing, and my tranny oil pretty much turned black, that was the first time I had a check engine light and wehre i got the tcc code, does that help with a diagnosis as to whether it is a computer or the part?

Not good news first step is getting codes checked, it sounds like your converter needs to be replaced or your internal transmission clutch is burned up but you could try to replace the solenoid first if no help replace the tourqe convertor. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would you think it would be more beneficial to buy a used tranny that i can install myself, I can do a tranny but i'm not much into tearing them apart, i can get a used one for around 300 and install for free
I would start by replacing the solenoid if that doesnt help replace the converter and if problem is still there replace transmission. But that sounds like a killer deal for $300 installed just make sure you get another converter too. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yeah the tranny has 78000 miles on it...my car has 120000, still a good price on used for 300? any idea on price of a torque converter? you have been so much help i appreciate it very much
I'm happy I've been able to help.......these transmissions are usually pretty good so ya thats still a killer deal, $300 is cheaper then the labor alone. You can get a torque converter from your local parts store or a used one off www.car-parts.com sort by price and have them ship it to you this would be the cheapest option. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks