Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

99 pontiac grand prix gt: wont start..interior lamps..volts..fuses

'99 pontiac grand prix gt, 3.8 engine, won't start, tried to jump start nothing, can not get interior lamps to work. no accessories work, no lights on dash when key is turned, battery is showing 13.58 volts. check all fuses with meter and they show good. any ideas?

HelloCustomer if you have no power inside the vehicle, I would start by focusing on the battery cables at both the battery and the starter post. Disassemble the bolt in the center of the battery cable and make sure the inside of the side post is clean and corrosion free. Also check for loose connections where the battery cable connects to the underhood fuse box. Let me know what you find and we'll conduct further testing if those items show OK.

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, give me a second and i will check that, thanks

You're welcome, I'll be here
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i cleaned the battery cable ends that go into the side post on battery. they had a little bit of corrosion, but i've seen worse. i hooked them back up and i did get the doom lights to come on and the car to start. can that little bit of corrosion cause such a problem? the car has been acting up for several weeks now, with harder starting, ex.: cranking longer to start, having to try 2 or 3 times before it starts, but never just died, nothing. i will accept so you get paid and give a bonus once i hear from you about if such a little bit of corrosion can cause such a problem. could there be more corrosion at the starter, which i did not clean. i only cleaned at the battery. thanks alot and i will wait for your response and then pay you and give a bonus, thanks again. jtchey
I think you found your issue. What you do now is, whip a mixture of baking soda and water. Take things apart again and soak the cable, nut and areas with the solution. rinse it off with water and that will guaranty that you don't have excess corrosion again. It doesn't take a lot of corrosion on a side post battery to give you the voltage drop. I think you are fixed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks and i will try the mixture. jtchey

You are very welcome, have a great night.