GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am that will not start. It was

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am that will not start. It was fine Saturday all day but Monday morning it wold not start. The engine seems to turn over ok but I do not smell any gas. Some one suggested checking the fuel pump relay. I found several OMRAON 12172235 relays under the hood..some had DOO after the number. Is one of these that realy and if so, which one! They are not in the fuse box..there are three next to each other by the firewall and one up fron hear the hood latch. Is the fuse for the pump on the fuse block?I did not see one labled for the fuel pump but they all look ok..not "blown" anyway.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.

Welcome. The fuel pump relay is beside the shock tower. It is #2 in the picture below. If you cannot hear the pump running, then hit the bottom of the fuel tank while someone tries to start the engine. If it starts, replace the pump.

Object Number: 219075  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there a way of checking the relay? Is the fuse for the fuel pump located on th fuse block wit the rest of the fuses?

The relay seems to be farly inexpensive compared to the cost of a new pump. What about the fuel filter? Would that go bad that fast (overnight) or would it give warning? In my older (non- fuel injected) I changed some of this stuff myself. I can't do in on this one. I need to try to keep the car running but I can't afford to put much into it.

If this was your car what wold you do first? I have spent a lot of money recently on it replacing the coil tower and control modual as well as a heater core.

Ok, the fuel pump fuse is in the fuse panel under the hood.

My first step would be to hit the tank while someone tries to start the car.

Second is to check that the relay clicks when the key is turned on, then again when cranking.

Third to check the grey wire at the back of the fuel pump for power if the relay clicks.

WE need to get fuel pressure to get your car to run.