GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2001 Pontiac grand am: rough idle..Any thoughts, or ideas

Customer Question

2001 Pontiac grand am. Hard starting, rough idle, poor fuel economy. Any thoughts, or ideas? I have alredy replaced the plugs, wires, and fuel filter. the only other things that I have done wouldn't affect the problem as they have been done since the problem started.

Thanks

Steve
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. Is this a V6? Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IT'S THE GT WITH V6 RAM AIR. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON. pONTIAC DEALER IN TEXAS PUT NEW IGNITION SWITCH IN BECAUSE THE CAR WOULDN'T START AND IT HAD TO BE TOWED. AFTER IT HAD BEEN TOWED IT FIRED RIGHT UP BUT THEY STILL CHARGED ME OVER 700.00 TO INSTALL THE NEW IGNITION SWITCH. NOW THE KEY DOESN'T TURN THE IGNITION SOMETIMES AND YOU HAVE TO SIT AND FIDDLE WITH IT.
OK, if the key will not turn, then perhaps the dealer should have replaced the ignition cylinder, not the ignition switch. The cylinder has the passlock sensor in it, and it can prevent the car from starting as well as the switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THEY REPLACED THE ACTUAL PART THAT THE KEY GOES IN. THAT WAS OVER A YEAR AGO. THE CAR ALWAYS STARTS HOWEVER SOMETIMES IT REALLY DOESN'T WANT TO
Ok, in this case I would check the fuel system. Measure the fuel pressure. It is supposed to be 53-59 psi with the pump running and the engine off. Then with the engine running, it should only drop 5 psi or so. Then when you shut it off, it should hold pressure for several minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was told that these engines were particularly prone to intake manifold gaskets going out. Could this be the problem? If i check the fuel pressure and it isn't at the propper psi what would the prob. be. fuel pres. regulator, fuel pump, where do I go from that point?

Yes, the intake manifolds are bad for coolant leaking out of the ends. I doubt this is the issue.

As for the fuel pressure, if it is low, then it is likely the fuel pump, but take the vacuum line off the pressure regulator to be sure there is no fuel in the line.