Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do I replace a wiper motor for a 1999 Pontiac Transport/Montana?

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions with photos to help out:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the harness from the wiper motor.
  3. Using a 8mm socket, loosen the two crank arm socket screw and lockwashers until the socket releases from the crank arm ball.

Do not remove the crank arm from the motor.

1. Using a 10mm socket, remove the three motor retaining screws.
  2. Slide the motor out of the slot in the bracket.

See Figures 1 through 8

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: The wiper motor is located in the engine compartment, above the engine, offset to the passenger side

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Loosen the two attaching bolts to disconnect the wiper transmission linkage from the pivot

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Note that this is a cinch type connection. Lube it on reassembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: After removing the wiper motor retaining bolts, carefully lower it from its position

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: It's easier to remove the motor from it's mount and then disconnect the electrical connectors

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: To detach the electrical connector, first push up on the locking tab ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: ... then, pull the tab out of the lock slot

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Separate the electrical connector from the motor.

To install:

1. Make sure the wipers are in the park position.
  2. Slide the motor into the slot in the bracket.
  3. Using a 10mm socket, install the three motor retaining screws and tighten to 49-80 inch lbs. (5.5-9.0 Nm).
  4. Using a 8mm socket, tighten the two crank arm socket screw and lockwashers.
  5. Connect the harness to the wiper motor.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I made the assumption that each wiper has a separate motor, is that incorrect? In my case, it is the passenger wiper that no longer works. If is not the motor, what could be the cause?

Thanks, Customer
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

There is only one motor. If passenger side is not working, you need to check the wiper linkage(the arms that attach to the motor). The linkage may have come apart.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.