GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM
6758627

Anti-lock warning light on, 2003 pontiac aztek

anti-lock warning light on, 2003 pontiac aztek
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 5 years ago.

Hello! Do you have any other symptoms, other than the light being on? does it always come on, or is it intermittant? If its intermittant, what makes it come on (i.e. turns, acceleration, slowing down, bumps, etc...). Any previous work done prior to this, or to fix this? Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no work on it, the light comes on when I start it now, before the brakes would "act" strange, like they would try to dis-engage when applying the brake (felt like they were "pushing" back against the brake pedal, when I would apply the brakes). then the warning light would come on and they would work just fine. on occasion now, they will still "act" strangely.

OK, more than likely, there is a broken wire going to one of the front wheel speed sensors. The "acting strange" was actually the ABS engaging. Because these wires flex everytime you turn the wheel or go over a bump, after awhile the wires inside the insulation begin to break (although the insulation remains intact, making it appear visibly sound). These breaks in the wires cause intermittant connections, which the ABS controller reads as "wheel lock-up" and engages the ABS. After some time of doing this, the breaks in the wires start to pull away, which causes the ABS controller to set a wheel speed sensor fault code, turn the light on, and disable the ABS.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) there are only two ways to know which wheel is causing the problem, and thats either use a scantool and have the ABS fault codes read, or remove the insulation from the speed sensor wiring harnesses and find the break (usually within 8 inches of the sensor connector).

2) Most shops, when they see a wheel speed fault code, automatically assume the wheel bearing (hub) is bad, since the sensor is internal to the hub. I would estimate that 3 out of 5 speed sensor codes are NOT the hub, but the wiring to the sensor, like I mentioned in the first paragraph. GM sells replacement connectors with wiring to repair this, if that is indeed the case.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would be a normal charge to fix/replace the connectors as you stated in #2??

The connectors through GM usually run about $50-75. Its a connector w/ terminals and comes with about 24 inches of insulated wire, to be spliced into where it breaks out of the main harness.

To figure out which side and replace would be between 1.0 and 1.5 hours, multiplied by the hourly rate (varies by shop, so I can't estimate).

GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience: GM