Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Reset the service engine soon light on a Pontiac grand prix GT 3.

Customer Question

how do I reset the service engine soon light on a Pontiac Grandprix GT 3.8 L
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
what year? and you mean the check engine light? did it have a code then you fixed it now you need to clear it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
year is pontiac 2000. Well, code was exactlly for the transmision pressure switch and it was repaired, meaning replaced and now working fine. Spark plugs have been changed but not the air intake filter. I disconect the batery and it resets for some days but it comes up again indicating "service engine soon" I has around 169'000 miles of use....
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok now is this the car that has a service engine soon AND a check engine light?some had 2? also does it have any codes in it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't show the check engine light it just light on the service engine soon but does not show any codes!
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to go out front and CHECK every light to make sure they ALL work if a daytime running light bulb is out the body control module will turn this light on...go check i will bet one is out...make sure to run it and see if the daytime bulb is out...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me go check and I'll get back to you in a feww minutes...
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
no problem but i will bet thats why the light is on..make sure you check the daytime running bulbs those are the ones that will turn it on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry but who are those because I am not a mechanic and I don't understan what you mean by "daytime running bulbs"
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok you have your regualr head lights...next to them when you run your car that car should have daytime running lights..there are 2 bulbs in the front next to the headlights torward the grill side that light up when either the daylight gets dark...or as soon as you run the car and put it in drive..have someone start it up and put it in drive and see if you see and bulbs light up near your headlamps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This car has a sensor light photocell wich makes the lights come up when is dark, during daytime they remain off. But I tested them covering the sensor and both sides lite well. This is what I did: Start engine, let it run for a while then cover the sensor on top of the dash board and both head lamps lite nice...no one seems to be off...
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok...since there are no codes in the computer there has to be a light bulb out somewhere on the car..it is the only thing that turn on that light..well the next step is to have the BCM scanned for codes..that code will tell us which light os out...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I did a check up and found the backup reverse light blown off..could that be the problem?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
it could be just make sure ALL exterior lights work including daytime lights clear the light and it should stay off
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I will observe the change I made..I replced the burned bulb and reset "service engine soon light" now it is off. I checked all lights and they are ok now. I will then wait and see if it does not come up again with the "service engine soon"!!
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok let me know