joshsdaddy2006
joshsdaddy2006, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  Certified technician,PA safety and emissions Inspector, shop owner
17238792

How do i fix my car security light it wont let my car start

Customer Question

how do i fix my car security light it wont let my car start
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer what kind of vehicle is this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i pulled the car up and got out, went inside, then came back outside and the security light came on and it wouldnt let me start it i dont know what happened its a 2004 pontiac grand am v6 3.4 liter 4 dr
Expert:  joshsdaddy2006 replied 5 years ago.

Hi, GM vehicles are known for this problem. I'm guessing that when you turn the key, you get nothing, and your security light flashs. If you can, jump the starter, it'll start and run for about 2 seconds and shut down. If you can do that, it will 100% tell you it's your ignition cylinder in your column. But i can already tell you i'm 99% sure thats what it is. And 9 out of 10 of these i have repaired it's not actually the cylinder that has broken. It's a wire going to the cylinder. There are 2 wires that go into the cylinder which are for the resister that is in the key for the PASS system. GM used very small gauge wires for the PASS KEY in the cylinder. Either way you will have to have the column taken apart and have the cylinder repaired.

Once satisfied with my answer please click ACCEPT, and any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

joshsdaddy2006, Pontiac Technician
Experience: Certified technician,PA safety and emissions Inspector, shop owner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much do you think it will cost to fix this problem?
from my parts supplier it's $175.00 for the cylinder. It should only take about an hour to replace. But like i said, 9 out of 10 of these it's just a broken wire. So about 1 1/2 hours labor to repair because they shoud be soldered, not spliced and taped. Not sure what your local labor rate is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i try and fix this or what do i have to take it or is it possible for me to do? and the security light wasnt blinking it just stayed on for two days and then it started doin what you're sayin we already tried tappin the starter with the ignition and we cleaned the corrosion off the battery and we tried chargin the battery the power still comes on and u can hear the clicking sounds from the car and we can hear the fuel line running so is there any way i can do something to fix it i cant afford 175 dollars for a new cylinder

Is your key cylinder on the column or on the dash by the column? You dont need to tap the starter. Turn the key to the ON position and use a screw driver and touch the 2 termanals on the starter selenoid together. It should start for about 2 seconds.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its on the dash what do i do after it starts?

if its the ignition, it'll shut off after about 2 seconds on its own.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i just tried that and it didnt start do u still think its the cylinder?

Use a test light and see if you have voltage at the starter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have power to the starter but the light is now blinking like you said so i guess im gonna have to get a new cylinder but hey thanks man i really appreciate it
If you have power to the starter, no turn the ignition on, and touch the termanal with power to the termanal right beside it. It should start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
right beside the starter?

Before you go buy a cylinder though. Disassemble it first and look for a broken wire. Here is a breakdown of the procedure for disassembly. Good luck.

IGNITION SWITCH LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. IMPORTANT: Perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure whenever you replace the ignition switch lock cylinder. See: Accessories and Optional Equipment\Antitheft and Alarm Systems\Service and Repair
  2. Remove instrument panel (I/P) accessory trim plate.

1. Insert the key to the ignition lock cylinder.
  2. Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the switch:

4.1.Using a small curved tool or an L-shaped hex wrench, depress and hold the detent on the ignition lock cylinder. If you cannot locate the detent with the tool, remove the radio. View the detent through the radio opening.
4.2.Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
4.3.Pull the ignition lock cylinder out with the key.

1. Remove the key from the lock cylinder.
  2. If the cylinder does not rotate or is seized, follow the procedure in the ignition switch replacement.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Code the ignition switch lock cylinder, if necessary.
  2. Insert the key and turn the lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
  3. Install the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
  4. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
  5. If necessary, install the radio.
  6. Install the I/P accessory trim plate.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. If a new lock cylinder was installed, perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure.

In case you need to replace it, here is the procedure for reprogramming.

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS

IMPORTANT:

• Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair. All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.
  • The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures.
  • If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Passlock(TM) sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
  • If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password XXXXX Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a learn procedure must be performed to change this password XXXXX A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions
Use these procedures after replacing:

• Passlock(TM) Sensor
  • BCM
  • PCM

10 Minute Learn Procedure

TOOLS REQUIRED :
None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

here is a picture of the starter. You want to use a screwdriver and touch the two threaded rods on the starter selenoid.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanx this really helps im gonna go work on it and ill tell u how it goes
your welcome. good luck.