car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years master tech and shop owner

I have a 98 pontiac sunfire. The battery light came on a couple

Customer Question

I have a 98 pontiac sunfire. The battery light came on a couple of days ago and when they checked the voltage it came back completely charged. So I am going to have a friend see if it's the alternator or something else. But today when I was driving the ABS light came on. It came on right after I started the car and put the car in reverse. It still hasn't gone off. I restarted the car and the lights are still on. My question is, is the battery light related to the ABS light or is the ABS light it's own problem. Some people told me that the ABS light may come on because the alternator is going. If you could address what the ABS light means and the battery light it would be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.
the battery light means there is a problem with the chargeing system which is most likely the altenator or a loose conection on it as for the abs light it means the abs system is not working correctly which could be a number of parts in most cases but in you case i would say that the abs light is on because the abs module must have the correct voltage and sincwe the charging system is having trouble it wont get the right voltage so most likely fix the altenator problem and the abs will most likely go out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more quick question...Why when the tech at the dealer checked the battery does it show a full charge? I would think that the battery would be going lower every time I started the car? Thanks for getting back to me
Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.
it may be chrging to the minimum which isnt enough and the normal accesorys drain the battery slow night driving with the ac or heat on drains it faster if he where to do a load test on the battery with out charging it first it woulsd probably show down some the auto zone will test the altenator for free
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 years master tech and shop owner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry one more....My friend told me that to check the alternator all you have to do is start the car and then disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and if the car dies then it is the alternator..Others have told me that will fry my alternator? Who is right? I don't want to have my alternator fried and then have to pay to replace that and any other damage it caused.
Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.
it is not a good idea to check the altenator this way it may damage the regulator the only way to correctly test the altenator is with a meter