Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

2000 Pontiac: ac..blend door..rotated..ok, hot air blows all the time

Customer Question

2000 Pontiac GP, NO TEMP CONTROL OR AC, new control panel, new blend door actuator didn't move when plugged in and control rotated, fan and mode doors operate OK, hot air blows all the time
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell us if the AC compressor turns on?

Do you have a multimeter you can use to do some tests?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
AC compressor does not turn on and the AC and rear defroster lights do not light when the buttons are pushed. Yes i have a DOVM and I could get access to a Snap On scanner tomorrow or Monday
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

OK - Good.

Let's see what we can do without the scan tool, for now.

Do you have the Automatic or Manual AC control system? The Automatic usually has a temperature display you can set, while the Manual system just has a knob that you can turn from Cold to Hot.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is the manual system and that knob is what doesn't work that I am inquiring about. It was my assumption that if the temp was turned to cold and the blend door opened the ac would kick on and the light would work. Guess it is an electrical problem.
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

It could be one or more problems. Let me grab some schematics and do some checking.

Thanks, XXXXX

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

I have a couple of schematics for you. The first is for the compressor controls.

graphic

Here is a schematic for the Temperature controls.

graphic

I noticed that each of these have two fuses leading to the control panel, and there is at least one more in the top schematic. You did not mention if you actually checked to see if there was power coming into and going out of these fuses, so I would like you to check them with your meter. Check both sides of the HVAC CTRL and DIC/HVAC fuses. There are located in the instrument panel fuse block, on the passenger side. Here is a diagram of this panel.

graphic

If you find that each of these fuses have power on both sides, then also check the RADIO BATT fuse in the underhood fuse block.

If all of that is ok, then it will be time to check some signals at the control module itself.

Please let me know what you find so we can proceed, if needed.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a missing fuse. Thnx
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

You are quite welcome & I'm glad I could help.

Take Care, Greg A.