FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2004 VIBE: A CLICKING NOISE FROM BEHIND THE PASSENGER GLOVE BOX..OFF.

Customer Question

MY 2004 VIBE HAS A CLICKING NOISE FROM BEHIND THE PASSENGER GLOVE BOX. tHE NOICE STARTS WHEN YOU TURN ON THE SWITCH TO START AND IS ABOUT EVERY SECOND WIH SOME MINOR VARIATION. IT DOES NOT CHANGE WITH CAR SPEED OR THE AIR OR HEATER ON OR OFF. it is under the dash.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Hello wspeedle1, so the noise is a clicking sound that continues anytime the key is on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The noise is on any time the ignition switch is turned on even when car is not cranked or running. The noise sounds like a pencile hitting a piece of plastic every second. There may be a plastic door for switching the air flow to feet to front of dash to defrost. I will check to see if it comes out in all areas tonight.The air conditioner and heat still work. Could a vacuum be craeting this noise. What moving equipment is under the dash behind the gloove swing passenger compartment? Does it take an expert to remove the dash to check out?

You can call at(NNN) NNN-NNNN I can let you listen on my cell phone.

Customer/p>
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried to see if the noise changes when changing the direction of the air flow?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I change the air flow to floor, front and defraust it comes out as it should. The ticking sound is like a clock. It makes 10 ticks in a row then skips a tick then makes 10 more in a row repeating the sequence. What is behind the dash that would make a noise like this? It is not under the hood. How much would it cost to repair? Would it hurt to run like this until I can come up with the money to repair. Do you know a vibe dealer that could quote this repair?

wayne

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Okay. There are several possible causes of this noise. In the area where you are having the problem is the vehicles main computer, the theft deterent module, and the starter cut relay. Any fo these can make this type of noise. The only way to tell which one it is would be to remove the glove box or even get under the dash to pimpoint the noise.