GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2006 Grand Prix: surging..interstate..I am guess fuel filter

Where is the fuel filter on a 2006 Grand Prix and how easy is it to change. My wifes car has been experiencing surging during acceleration and on the interstate. I am guess fuel filter.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tech364 replied 8 years ago.
welcome to JA, the filter is underneath the drivers side of the car towards the rear. it is not bad to change it has quick couplings. remove the bolt holding the filter bracket and squeeze the plastic tabs on the end of the line together and pull the line out of the filter. if you need more info just send me a post and i will be glad to help.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
Welcome. GM Tech here, Tech364 must be thinking of older cars. The newer cars, your included do not have a separate fuel filter outside of the fuel tank, it is located in the tank and is not serviced separately from the fuel pump. Your surging could be from the fuel pressure and I would test it before doing any repairs.
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

To test the fuel pressure there is a port on the fuel rail to attach a fuel gauge. Is your car the super charged engine or naturally aspirated? How many miles? How often does it surge and how badly?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not super charged and has 43,000. Surges between 70-75mph on the highway. Then started everday surges on city streets at 35-45mph a couple days ago. Since Saturday it does it all all speeds. Before only between 70-75 every now and then. Problem started about 2 months ago but she did not notice because she does not drive on the interstate that often.
Ok, test the fuel pressure, it needs to be between 56-62 psi. Also have you checked the air filter? Look at these things and let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok. I will check the air filter and see if that is the problem. But not sure how to check the fuel pressure.
3.8L engine or the 5.3L?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
3.8L

I thought so, but I needed to be sure. Under the sight shield on the engine is the fuel rail. There is a port on the fuel rail that you can install the fuel gauge.

Object Number: 180378  Size: SH

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay. I appreciate your fast response and will check the filter and borrow a gauge. She is at work until this afternoon but I will let you know what the results are. You have been very helpful. I will be back later. How long do yo stay online? And if your not here will you get my response?
I am usually around all day. I leave my computer is in my toolbox so I look in all day long. I will also keep an eye on my e-mail so if you respond I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I respect your knowledge as a mechanic and yes your direction has led us to the problem with the air filter. I must say! All my years of being on this planet I have never in my wildest dreams thought I would remove the air filter chamber and remove the filter only to replace the old with new. What I found was a plastic wrap off a cup cake or whatever that had been sucked it to the air intake which was obviously restricting air flow, thus the hesitation & surging....Funny it was when I pulled the cover off my wifes extremely dirty engines air cleaner and pulled that out.......Good story for years to come. Your help directed me to this problem instead of putting in the shop so I thank you and hope you enjoy the bonus I left.