FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

1995 Grand Am: has started having overheating problems..common problem

My 1995 Grand Am has started having overheating problems, apparently it seems to be a common problem for this car. How do I fix this.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer what size engine do you have in the vehicle? When does it overheat? How hot does it get? Has anything been changed recently?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it is a 16v quad 4. It just seems to randomly overheat. Sometimes it kicks up to almost 220 and then it drops back down and kind-of bounces back and forth. A couple times in the past couple weeks it has gone over 220 and I have had to pull over and add coolant. This has been when we have driven it for longer distances around 45 minutes without stopping.

I have not changed anything yet because I keep hearing different reports of what may be causing it form just replacing the radiator cap to having to replace the head gasket. Just wanted to see if there are any known solutions.

Thanks

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Do you lose coolant just from driving the vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not really sure, we don't have to keep filling it up. Just when it gets to the point that it is overheating over 220
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 years ago.
Okay. The two most common causes of overheating on this engine are a bad thermostat and a bad radiator cap. I would start by changing these and flushing the coolant if it is very dirty. You also want to make sure that the engine cooling fans are coming on when the vehicle gets hot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I will try both, sorry I didn't answer sooner, we have been out of town