GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnostic & Repair. 25 Years GM Dealership Exp.
10184299

I have 2 problems with a 2000 Pontiac Montana I just got with

Customer Question

I have 2 problems with a 2000 Pontiac Montana I just got with 120k miles on it.1)Check engine light is on and gives code PO336,I erased the code several times with my scanner, but after a few hours, it comes back.2)I have the faulty fuel gauge, ABS light on, and Service Traction System symptom.I already performed the c305 connector fix, but problems with fuel gauge and warning lights on still persist.Car runs fine, with the sole exception of all those lights on.Car had a crash along the passenger side, which was fixed prior to the sale.I noticed that one of the support bars under the hood is missing, the one that goes over the battery.I checked all the grounds from the battery and all seem fine.Please help! TNX.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Number one check for the multiple areas of faults you will want to check the following:

I would start with system voltages and possible ingnition switch failure.

Keep in mind that a vehicle that has been in a mishap, can sometimes have a hidden problem which can take a highly skilled technician many hours to uncover with all of the correct diagnostic tools at his side along with the vehicle at his side. I will however do my best from here to help.

It would be helpful to know if there are any codes stored in any of the remaining many modules on the vehicle. Any "U" codes could show a splice pack that has been overlooked during a collision repair. Here's a diagram that ties many of your systems together that could be an area of concern.

graphic

As for the Code P0336 condition...this may or may not be related to the possible Ign. Switch problem you may be encountering. There is a very detailed set of diagnostics related to this stored code, and most of the concern points to your "Crankshaft Position Sensor" circuit problem.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
DTC P0336 can be caused by secondary components leaking high voltage into the Ignition Control (IC) module. Inspect for the following conditions:

• Incorrect harness routing near secondary ignition components.
  • Ignition coil arcing to wiring harness or IC module-Check ignition coils for:
  • Cracks
  • Carbon tracking
  • Other signs of damage
  • Secondary ignition wires arcing to wiring harness.

IMPORTANT: Remove any debris from the connector surfaces before servicing a component. Inspect the connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing a component. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion.

• Poor terminal connection-Inspect the harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and faulty terminal to wire connection. Use a corresponding mating terminal to test for proper tension. Refer to Diagrams.
  • Damaged harness-Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness inspection does not reveal a problem, observe the display on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the sensor. A change in the scan tool display may indicate the location of the fault. Refer to Diagrams.
  • PCM and engine grounds for clean and secure connections

If the DTC is determined to be intermittent, reviewing the Failure Records can be useful in determining when the DTC was last set.

Have a qualified technician test the Ignition Switch for any voltage drop across it. Many times a portion of an Ignition switch that is failing, will allow just enough current to flow so that select system will not see enough system voltage to operate correctly. This may resolve many of your dash lamp concerns if found to have an Ign. switch failing.

I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction, but a I'm leaning toward a problem in the ignition switch.

You may have 2 distinct and isolated problems as I go through the your descriptions.

******************************************

Start your diagnosis with being absolutly sure that your system voltages at fuse boxes downstream of the ignition switch.....voltages remain equal to the engine running system voltage that is measured at the battery. Both should remain up around 13.8v to 14.2v or so while the systems are under load. If you are seeing something say around 8 or 9 volts at the test points, then you'll want to replace the ginition switch.

A good place to make these voltage comparisons might be the PCM/ABS 10 A fuse. That would be the lower right fuse in the IP fuse panel

graphic

Customerthis information should give you a good starting point. It is entirely possible that there may be a requirement to spend several hours of diagnostics with a sophisticated scan tool so that each system can be checked independently.

Although possibly not a swift and easy fix, I hope this information is helpful to you.

Have a Great Day

Frank

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have performed some hard troubleshooting in the past, so I`m not afraid of this one, I just wanted to put y effort on the right direction, since I`m not familiar with this particular GM product.I will be working on it during the upcoming weekend, following the instructions given.

Expert:  GM-Frank replied 5 years ago.

Ok montana,

I'll be away from my computer for the next 4 days during the daytime, however evenings and mornings I will check to see about any additional info you may need from me.

Good Luck

Frank