Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

How do you replace rear brakes on a 2001 pontiac grand prix

Customer Question

how do you replace rear brakes on a 2001 pontiac grand prix
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Brake Pads Replacement-Rear

Removal Procedure

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, then no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, then remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  3. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  4. Remove the rear tire and the wheel assembly.
  5. Install a hand tightened lug nut to retain the rotor to the hub.

graphic

Compress the caliper piston enough for clearance. Use a C-clamp (3).

graphic

1. Remove the upper caliper bolt (2). Notice: Use care to avoid damaging pin boot when rotating caliper.
  2. Pivot the caliper down in order to access the pads. Do not remove the caliper.

graphic

1. Remove the brake pads (9,10) from the caliper bracket.
  2. Remove the two pad clips (11) from the caliper bracket.
  3. Inspect the caliper mounting hardware for the following conditions:
    • Cuts
    • Tears
    • Deterioration Replace any hardware if damage exists.
  1. Inspect the caliper dust boot (8) for the following conditions:
    • Cuts
    • Tears
    • Deterioration Replace the caliper dust boot if damage exists.
  1. Inspect the caliper bolts for corrosion or damage. Do not attempt to polish away the corrosion. If corrosion exists, use new components when installing the caliper.
Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Bottom the piston (7) into the caliper bore (2). Use a C-clamp before installing new brake pads in order to compress the piston. Use an old brake pad or wooden block across the face of the piston. Do not damage the piston or the caliper boot.
  2. Install the two retainers (11) to the caliper bracket (12). Important: The wear sensor is on the outside pad. The sensor is positioned at the trailing edge (downward) of the pad during forward wheel rotation.
  3. Install the pads (9, 10) to the caliper bracket (12). Notice: Use care to avoid damaging pin boot when rotating caliper.

graphic

1. Swing the caliper (3) upward in position around the pads.
  2. Lubricate the bolt and the bolt boot. Use silicone grease. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the upper caliper bolt (2).
    • Tighten the caliper bolt to 44 Nm (32 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Remove the two wheel lug nuts retaining the rotor to the hub.
  2. Install the rear tire and the wheel assembly. Align the previous marks on the wheel, hub and bearing.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  5. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  6. Wait 15 seconds , then repeat steps 10 and 11 until a firm brake pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  7. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the proper level.
  8. Burnish the pads and rotors.