Dan, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Certified, GM Mark of Excellence, ASE Master Certified.
4976144

dome light stays on 02 grand am

Customer Question

i was diagnosing a problem last night with a tech online and was cut- off.(no fault of the tech.) the dome light on the car is on the ''door" setting which means it should come on when the door is opened, however it stays on all the time. after 20 minutes it will go off but not after 20 seconds like it should. we were in the process of using a volt meter to see if a door switch is bad, opened or closed position, he had a diagram of the body control module showing how to check it and thats where we left off. can you help me from there?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure the dash lights dimmer switch isn't in the on position for the interior lamps?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I JUST TURNED THE DASH SWITCH TO ON TRIED IT AND THE INTERIOR LIGHT IS STILL STAYING ON.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, make sure the dash lamps dimmer switch is in the low position and make sure the overhead lamp switch is in the off position. Do the lights stay on then?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE DOME LIGHT STAYS OFF IN THE OFF POSITION, AND STAYS ON IN THE ON POSITION. THE ONLY SETTING NOT WORKING IS THE "DOOR" POSITION WHICH ACCORDING TO THE OWNERS MANUAL SHOULD LIGHT UP WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED AND GO OFF AFTER 20 SECONDS. I HAVE HAD THE SWITCH IN THE OFF POSITION TO SAVE BATTERY BUT THEN I DO NOT HAVE INTERIOR LIGHTS AT NIGHT WHEN OPENING THE DOOR.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was at the point where we were checking continuity on the door switches on the body control module looking for a bad door ajar switch. he had a diagram for me to check the circuits and thats where we left off. can you help from that point?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Sure can. Here you go.

Courtesy Lamps Always On

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Interior Lights Schematics

1

Did you perform the Lighting System Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Lighting Systems

2

1. Ensure the instrument panel dimmer switch is not in the DOME position.
  2. Close all of the vehicle's doors.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.

Are the courtesy lamps illuminated?

Go to Step 3

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

3

Use the Scan Tool in order to command the courtesy lamps OFF.

Do the courtesy lamps turn OFF?

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 6

4

1. Close all of the vehicle's doors.
  2. With a scan tool, observe the Driver Door Ajar Sw. parameter and the Passenger Door Ajar Sw. parameter in the Lamp Status data list.

Does the scan tool indicate that both parameters are OFF?

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 5

5

Does the scan tool indicate that the Driver Door Ajar Sw. parameter is ON?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 9

6

Disconnect the instrument panel dimmer switch.

Are the courtesy lamps illuminated?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 12

7

1. Disconnect the body control module (BCM).
  2. Test the courtesy lamp low control circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 13

8

1. Disconnect the driver's door ajar switch.
  2. Observe the Driver Door Ajar Sw. parameter as you disconnect the switch.

Does the scan tool indicate that the Driver Door Ajar Sw. parameter is OFF when the driver door jamb switch is disconnected?

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 10

9

1. Disconnect the passenger door ajar switch or door jamb switches one at a time.
  2. Observe the Passenger Door Ajar Sw. parameter as you disconnect each switch.

Does the scan tool indicate that the Passenger Door Ajar Sw. parameter is OFF when one of the passenger door jamb switches is disconnected?

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 11

10

Test the driver's door ajar switch signal circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 13

11

Test the passenger's door switch signal circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 13

12

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the instrument panel dimmer switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 14

13

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the BCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 16

14

Replace the instrument panel dimmer switch. Refer to Instrument Panel Lamp Dimmer Switch Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 17

--

15

Replace the inoperative door ajar switch or door jamb switch. Refer to Rear Door Jamb Switch Replacement or Door Lock Replacement in Doors.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 17

--

16

Important: Perform the set up procedure for the body control module.

Replace the body control module. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement in Body Control System.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 17

--

17

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 2

Dome Lamps - Y71/Y72

Object Number: 792942  Size: FS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DO NOT HAVE A SCAN TOOL TO TEST LIKE THIS. I WAS UNDER THE UNDERSTANDING TALKING TO THE SERVICE TECH LAST NIGHT THAT WE COULD TEST THE DOR SWITCHES WITH A VOLTMETER. I NOTICED TODAY DRIVING WITH THE INTERIOR LIGHT IN THE DOOR POSITION, THE LIGHT WOULD COME ON BY ITSELF AT TIMES, AND WHEN I WOULD PARK AND START THE VEHICLE THE LIGHT WOULD WORK NORMALLY BUT IT WOULD NOT WORK WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED.ALSO WHEN I WOULD STOP TAKE KEYS OUT, LOCK DOOR,DOME LTS. WOULD STAY ON.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
In that case it does sound like a faulty door jamb switch. You can check for power and ground at the door switch which is thought to be causing the lamps to stay on. If both are present at the switch connector but the lights stay on suspect a faulty door jamb switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what am i looking for at the door switch? when the door is open do i have voltage or does it ground? is the drivers door different than the rest?