Travis, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.

2006 Pontiac G6: I can not locate the power steering reservior

My power steering went out on my 2006 Pontiac G6 and I can not locate the power steering reservior
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

There are 2 different types of power steering. One is hydro and the other is electric. You may have the electric version, in which there is no power steering lfuid reservoir. To make sure on what you have, you can look under the dash and there will be a big motor hanging off the side of the steering column, this would be electric.

If it is electric, the car will need to be scan for "C" codes to help trace the issue. There are a few things that could go wrong. I will attach a picture of the location of the motor ont he column.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will it damage my car to drive it this way. I will be traveling from Albuquerque to

Kansas City and would rather wait until I get to KC before taking it to the dealership.

Is taking it to the dealership the only way to detect the problem?

Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

I do not recommend driving the car that far due to safety reasons.

If you are able to find someone that has a high end scan tool, it might be able to pull those codes. If not, then a GM dealer will need to do so.