Adin3
Adin3, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic for the last 11 years, Parts store manager.

92 pontiac bonneville: awhile..sputter..dies..it wont start but it

Customer Question

i have a 92 pontiac booneville it starts up just time but after awhile of running around town and driving about 45-60 minutes of driving it starts to spit and sputter then it dies. i have to let it set for about 20-30 minutes before i can start it again. if i dont it wont start but it will turn over like its getting gas but it fire. after i let it sit for that period of time it stars right up, any help would really be appreciated thank you, steve
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

That sounds like a bad crankshaft position sensor. The car loses position and after sometime of driving it loses spark. The car turns off and needs time to reset then allows you to restart. Here is what you should do to reconfirm this, drive the car until it turns off. Then do a quick spark test on the car, if you find that there is no spark. You crankshaft sensor is bad. If you find that there is spark you need to check your fuel pump (though I am certain you will see no spark.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that would cause the problem after driving it around for a bit and it starts to spit and sputter and then i vant start it for about 20-30 minutes ?
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
The crankshaft position sensor, car starts to lose position which causes misfire at first. Car starts sputter and spitting (misfire). Then after more diriving it loses all spark and shuts off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct... after i srtart it i can drive it around for almost an hour then it starts to spit and sputter and then after it dies i cant start it for over an hour.. it wants to start but it doest fire
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
That is a fault Crankshaft position sensor. You need to replace the sensor click HERE
It's a common problem acutally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should this come up on a code ?
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
Typically not, it does not register in the OBD system. You may see a misfire code, but typically it does not come up as a code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if it is not maganatized is it bad ?
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
That is not an indication of it being bad or not.
Adin3, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic for the last 11 years, Parts store manager.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would my injectors be bad ?
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
No, if the injectors were bad you would notice it throughout driving.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was told that the injectors work in 2 groups of 3. if 1 quits does the group of 3 quit?

Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
No, if one quites the whole group does not quite. It's how they spray, that is refered to as groups of 3.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so since my cars pits and sputters after i drive it around for awhile that wouldnt cause the injectors to act up ? that wouldnt be an over heating issue? (maybe the radiator not allowing the prpoer air flow) my temp is fine on the dash, it reads 200 degree's then the fans kick on. what the car does is this, whne i go out to start it, it starts up just fine, after about an hour of driving it spits and sputters. then i have to wait 20-30 minutes to start it up again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so since my cars pits and sputters after i drive it around for awhile that wouldnt cause the injectors to act up ? that wouldnt be an over heating issue? (maybe the radiator not allowing the prpoer air flow) my temp is fine on the dash, it reads 200 degree's then the fans kick on. what the car does is this, whne i go out to start it, it starts up just fine, after about an hour of driving it spits and sputters. then i have to wait 20-30 minutes to start it up again. would the crank shaft sensor cause my car to spit and sputter? but why would my car take 30 minutes to stsrt back up again, i thought if that ensor went bad it wouldnt work at all
Expert:  Adin3 replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.

The crankshaft position sensor is different it monitors the position. The car loses track slowly and starts to misfire, this causes the spits and sputters. Then as you continue it keeps losing track and eventually just shuts off. (You can do a spark test when it does, I am sure you will find that there is no spark). Then you have to wait for the computer to reset, you have to wait for it to cool off. Then you can start it back up.

Best test you can do is a spark test, if you have no spark when the car does not want to turn on then it's not your injectors.