zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

1997 Pontiac Bonneville will not turn over. I tested the battery

1997 Pontiac Bonneville will not turn over. I tested the battery and it is good. When the key is turned there is nothing. Could it be the neutral safety switch?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 7 years ago.
The neutral safety switch could be the problem but it is not a common problem on this vehicle. Some other possible problems would be the starter, security system or possibly a wiring problem. If you can do some testing I would start by checking the power at the starter, power all the time on the large terminal and power on the small terminal if these are both good the problem is the starter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The security system light is flashing on the instrument panel.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like a security problem, I would try the below process and see if it will start. If it does start the lock cylinder will need to be replaced at some point.

1. Perform a security system relearn. 2. Let the vehicle sit for more than 10 minutes with the key off. 3. Attempt to start the engine, leave the key in the run position monitoring the security system indicator. 4. After 10 minutes, the security indicator will change state. 5. Turn the key off and wait 10 seconds. 6. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 7. After the second 10 minute timer has expired, turn the key off for 10 seconds. 8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 9. After the 3rd 10 minute timer has expired, shut the key off for 10 seconds. 10. The security system will relearn on the 4th starting attempt and the engine should start and run.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will give this a try. The other problem is, that the vehicle is not at home. It is at a place of business. If this do not work, I will need to get the vehicle towed.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 7 years ago.
Ok, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just tried the security system relearn and it did not work. The security light on the instrument panel continued to flash the whole time. The engine did not attempt to start for any of the steps.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 7 years ago.

I believe I have made a mistake, I was thinking your system was a passkey III system but now I believe it is a passkey II system with a chip in the key, right? If this is right the problem is most likely the lock cylinder in the column, these are known to have broken wires that send the data to the computer to tell it that the right key is being used. To check this you would need a ohm meter and be able to find the wires under the dash that go up to the lock cylinder, there is usually two very small wire inside a plastic shield usually gray or orange. If you unplug the wires and connect the ohm meter they should ohm to the same amount as the chip in the key(be sure the key is in the ignition) if the wires do not the lock cylinder will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The key has a black plastic top with GM stamp in it. The chip is down on the side of the key, on both sides, just above the cut out. The car has 220,636 miles on it. It has been very cold here in Michigan. We drove the car that day, parked it for a few hours and then drove it again. Then we park it for about six hours and it would not start. The car was washed two days before this happened.   
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 7 years ago.
Ok then yes this as described above, it will need to be tested as described. These can fail at anytime so when you last drove it really does not matter, there is a small wire near the lock cylinder that wears and eventually breaks and the vehicle will not start.