Travis
Travis, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
14792462

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix: the ignition switch..theft system..dash board

Customer Question

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix is not starting. When I turn the ignition switch, I see a "Ignition disabled due to theft system" on the dash board. What is the problem? Is it something I could fix myself or do I need to take it to the dealer?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

The DIC displays the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message when the VTD system has disabled the starting and fuel delivery system. The DIC receives a message from the BCM via the serial data circuit requesting the message to be displayed.

When an ignition key is inserted into the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition is switched ON, the body control module (BCM) supplies battery voltage to the theft deterrent exciter module. The transponder embedded in the head of the key is energized by the theft deterrent exciter module which is surrounding the ignition lock cylinder. The energized transponder transmits a signal that contains its unique value, which is received by the theft deterrent exciter module. The BCM monitors the theft deterrent exciter module for the transponder value via the security system sensor signal circuit. The BCM then compares this value to a value stored in memory, learned key code. The BCM then performs one of the following functions:

If the transponder value is correct, the BCM will send the fuel continue password XXXXX the powertrain control module (PCM) via the serial data circuit.
If the transponders value is incorrect the BCM will send the fuel disable password XXXXX the PCM via the serial data circuit.
If the BCM is unable to measure the ignition key transponder value for one second due to a damaged or missing pellet or a damaged theft deterrent exciter module, the BCM will send the fuel disable password XXXXX the PCM via the serial data circuit.

The vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system uses the following inputs, battery voltage, ignition switched voltage, security system sensor signal and ground circuit. The VTD system uses the following outputs, security system sensor supply voltage and password XXXXX with the PCM, fuel continue/disable via the serial data circuit.

This indicated there is a problem with the Anti-Theft system. The most likely cause will be the ignition lock cylinder.

You can try this procedure to attempt to relearn the system. If this does not work or the message returns, then the theft system will need to be serviced...

• With a master passkey III key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Observe the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the drivers information center (DIC), after approximately 10 minutes the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the DIC will turn off.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
  •  

• Start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  •