Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Certification

Pontiac G6- Stuck in park

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT. It has 32,000 miles on it and I have had it for about 6 months. A few days ago, I was driving home and the parking brake light started flashing so I pulled over, and it stopped. I then read the manual, and "released" it, although it was never on. Although this may not be the problem now, today I couldn't hardly shift it out of park and the key stuck in the ignition. Any Ideas?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Is the key currently stuck in the on position? Did you happen to notice if the brake lights were working when you pressed the brake pedal to remove the shift lever from park?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't happen to notice, sorry. I just went out now to see, and he key pulled out fine! I am still very concerned with earlier. As of right now, its working fine. Earlier though, (me being a very petite person)had EXTREME difficulty shifting from park to reverse. I also noticed that maybe the brake pedal seemed more stiff than usual. I am a little to concerned of it right now to drive it until I know the answer.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
OK well I would first like to advise you that any problems as far as this vehicle is concerned will be covered under the factory warranty of this car by your local Pontiac dealer, so I would recommend checking with them asap to take a look at this problem. Most of the time a problem like this is caused by a faulty shifter. See your car is equipped with a safety device that stops you from putting the car in any drive gears without having your foot on the brake pedal. The other side of this system actually deters you from removing the key without the shifter being totally in park. There are wire tests that need to be done to verify this problem for sure. These systems are both controlled by the body control module also so there is a good chance that this could be a cause of the problem. Either way at this point there needs to be some testing done to verify this problem. What I would recommend to you at this point is to verify that you fully press the shift lever into park every time you park the vehicle. If by chance you are not getting this car totally into park you can have these symptoms. As far as the brake pedal is concerned, it may be a little stiffer do to the temperature being colder, or if the engine is not running you will also note a difference. If you happen to get this car back to the point where the key will not come out, or that it will not come out of park let me know and I will further assist you to determine the exact cause. Keep in mind you will need a voltmeter to do so. I would drive this as little as possible till you can get it into the dealer just due to the fact that if the car will not shift into park, you could get stuck for sure. I would also keep an eye out for any more brake messages. Checking the fluid level may be a real good thing to do at this point for now. Feel free to contact me with any questions or findings and I will assist you as best as possible! Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would you happen to know why the parking brake message (which I have NEVER used before) went off? I had my brake fluid checked, it's fine. I just thought it was odd, that when I stopped it was shut off randomly. Could this also be caused by the body control module?

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Can you explain what this light looked like? Was it like this?

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont recall seeing either. I saw "parking brake" in the driver information center.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Did the message state "PUSH PARK PEDAL"? Sorry I just want to make sure that this is not more than a simple e-brake message.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it didn't. Only Parking Brake.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I got it. This indicator could mean many things including the parking brake problem, but it could also mean other things like there is a problem in the hydraulic end of the brake system. This is ver dangerous and if the light is still on, I would NOT recommend driving this vehicle until it is fixed. The most common reason for this message to come on would be a low fluid level. You did state you checked this. There are several reasons this could come about. Here is why. Yes the bcm could be at fault for this also.

The IPC illuminates the brake indicator when the following occurs:

The body control module (BCM) detects that the park brake is engaged. The IPC receives a serial data message from the BCM indicating the park brake status. If the vehicle speed is greater than 5 km/h (3.1 mph) with the park brake engaged, the BCM sends a serial data message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
The electronic brake control module (EBCM) detects a low brake fluid condition (signal circuit is low). The IPC receives a serial data message from the EBCM requesting illumination. The IPC sends a serial data message to the BCM indicating that the brake indicator is illuminated due to a brake malfunction. The BCM sends a serial data message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
The EBCM detects a malfunction in the braking system. The IPC receives a serial data message from the EBCM requesting illumination. The IPC sends a serial data message to the BCM indicating that the brake indicator is illuminated due to a brake malfunction. The BCM sends a serial data message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
The IPC performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.
The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the EBCM.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Im sorry this is taking so long. I have someone with me that is more car savvy than me, that keeps coming up with questions.
They want to make sure you understand that it randomly displays "parking brake", and then shuts off without actually "releasing" the parking brake. Also, we started my car again to move it because it won't be going anywhere untill the dealership on Monday, as he was backing up (about 20 ft) the parking brake warning displayed again, and seconds later shut off. He also mentioned the interior lights were on last night when a door was ajar (for only a moment) and then shorted out and shut off

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
This message can come up for more than just the parking brake being on as I previously mentioned. Any of the above faults can cause for this message.
Carhelp4u, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Certification