GM_MASTER_DENNY
GM_MASTER_DENNY, ASE and GM Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and GM Master Certified , over 15 years experience
14081360

2008 pontiac g6: Im wanting to change the antifreeze..drain plug

Customer Question

I have a 2008 pontiac g6 and I'm wanting to change the antifreeze? Where is the drain plug and Is it fairly easy to get to?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM_MASTER_DENNY replied 5 years ago.
Cooling System Draining and Filling (LY7, LZ4, LZ9 Static Fill)

Tools Required

J 26568 Coolant and Battery Fluid Tester

Draining Procedure

Caution: With a pressurized cooling system, the coolant temperature in the radiator can be considerably higher than the boiling point of the solution at atmospheric pressure. Removal of the surge tank cap, while the cooling system is hot and under high pressure, causes the solution to boil instantaneously with explosive force. This will cause the solution to spew out over the engine, the fenders, and the person removing the cap. Serious bodily injury may result.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Unscrew the surge tank cap to remove vacuum when draining coolant.
  2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  3. Place a container under the radiator drain.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  4. Unscrew the radiator drain plug until coolant flows out the radiator drain.
  5. If a complete block drain is required, remove the coolant drain plugs. Refer to Draining Fluids and Oil Filter Removal for the 3.5L engine, Engine Block Disassemble for the 3.6L engine, or Draining Fluids and Oil Filter Removal for the 3.9L engine.
  6. Follow the appropriate procedure based on the condition of the coolant:
    Normal in appearance--Follow the filling procedure.
    Discolored--Follow the flush procedure. Refer to Flushing .

Fill Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

1. Install the engine block coolant drain plugs. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
    Engine Block Assemble for the 3.5L engine.
    Engine Block Assemble for the 3.6L engine.
    Engine Block Assemble for the 3.9L engine.
  2. Close the radiator drain plug.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Vehicle should be level.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  5. Add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL® antifreeze and clean drinkable water until the level stabilizes approximately 1" (25.4 mm) above the weld seam on the surge tank. Refer to Approximate Fluid Capacities .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  6. Install the surge tank cap.

Important: DO NOT exceed 2,200 RPM.

7. Start the engine and run at 2,000 RPM until the engine cooling fans turn ON.
  8. Turn the engine OFF and allow the engine to cool down.
  9. Remove the surge tank cap.
  10. Refill to approximately 1" (25.4 mm) above the weld seam on the surge tank.
  11. Install the surge tank cap.
  12. Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant using J 26568 .
  13. Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant using J 26568 .
  14. Install the surge tank cap.
  15. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

Approximate Fluid Capacities

The following approximate capacities are given in English and metric conversions. See Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations for more information. All capacities are approximate. When adding, be sure to fill to the approximate level, as recommended in this manual. Recheck fluid level after filling.

Application

Specification

Metric

English

Cooling System

• 2.4L RPO LE5

7.1 liters

7.5 quarts

• 3.5L RPO LZ4

9.2 liters

9.7 quarts

• 3.6L RPO LY7

9.2 liters

9.7 quarts

• 3.9L RPO LZ9

9.2 liters

9.7 quarts

According to the picture, the drain is on the lower driver side of the radiator.

graphic

graphic

graphic