GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2002 Grand Prix SE: V..windshield wipers..correct position

Back to the 2002 Grand Prix SE V-6 3.1L. The windshield wipers will not park in the correct position. They park in an almost vertical position when you shut them off. Sometimes, if you turn the wiper switch on and off several times, they may park in the correct position. Also, there seems to be alot of play in the wiper arm/blade assembly when they are in the correct park position. You can move the entire wiper system by several inches by just slightly pulling on either the LH or RH blade. Sometimes the wind will cause them to move up from their correct position. I did adjust the blade arms by removing them from the wiper transmissions and re-positioning them because they were so out of wack that the RH blade was hitting the plastic windshield cover so hard that it knocked the water drip molding off the cowl panel and allowed run off water to enter the H VAC box shorting out the Heater Blower Motor and Resistor. What is the correct fix for this poorly engineered wiper system?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

WelcomeCustomer The wipers parking in the vertical position is cause by the reversing mechanism on the top of the wiper motor not engaging. What is supposed to happen is the spring loaded lever on the wiper crank arm is supposed to catch on the tab of the motor support. Then the motor turns half a turn backwards to seat the blades. If the lever does not hit the tab, the 1/2 turn backwards means straight up. Often the tam on the bad is the issue. Have a look a the crank arm when you park the blades. Watch to see if the lever catches the tab.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not know what you mean by. "Often the tam on the bad is the issue".
Sorry, Often the tab on the wiper support is the issue. The lever wears it away from sliding on it so the tab will not engage it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I will not have the car back until this coming Saturday. Typically, I accept JustAnswers when I know that the answer is correct. I'll get back to you with what I find when I get the car back. Thanks again.
Customer
That is fair, I see that you have accepted all before. Let me add a couple of things. First, if you have adjusted the wipers on the arms, you will need adjust them back. Second, if you can get access to the wiper motor support that the tab is part of, you can slightly bend the tab inward, but only a very slight amount. This would confirm and temporarily fix the issue. Let me know when you find out.
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.