Jay
Jay, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  Work at a Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, GMC dealer.
12620940

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Gauges do not work

I noticed today that my gas gauge stop reading. Also shortly later the Temp. gauge show that it was running hot. I turned engine off and checked. All was fine with engine. I restarted engine, then the temp gauge "pegged" out against RPM meter causing this not to read. Please advise possible cause
Submitted: 7 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer the instrument panels on these can stop working correctly, one way to get it checked is run it by a chevy or pontiac dealer and see if they can hook up their scan tool and do a guage sweep test and see if it all works fine. This only takes a minute and can be done in the parking lot, so they may do it free of charge if you ask them to quickly do a guage sweep check with their scan tool. Please reply if you have any questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
TOOK IT TODAY TO GET IT CHECK ANDTHEY SAID MUST HVAE APPOINTMENT & WILL COST AROUND $100.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Well it is highly likely that you need an instrument panel cluster due to what you are saying, I was just suggesting to make sure by going and getting the quick check but if they are unwilling to quickly help you, we could do some electrical diagnosis but it will not help if everything is working while we are checking the sensors. Again I am pretty sure that an instrument panel cluster is needed. Please reply if you have any questions. Thanks.