GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Problem with Pontiac G6. Brake rotors warping every 6 months

Customer Question

Problem with Pontiac G6. Brake rotors warping every 6 months about 10,000 miles. What is best perminant solution, cost is not an issue for permenant solution? If need aftermarket parts what are the best to solve problem? Info on other web sites indicate this is a comman problem that none of them felt Pontiac has ever admitted. I do not care like car need to solve
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer I have found every time that the method used to torque the front wheels and the build up of corrosion on the hubs has been the issue. GM came out with a training video instructing techs how to properly torque the wheels. The main issue is the rotors are lighter than before which means they are thinner. Almost every shop/tech does not use the proper torque sequence. I have always used a 3 stage torque with the star pattern on every stage. It takes a couple of minutes more, but I have yet to see one of the cars I service get a rotor issue. As for aftermarket parts, I cannot say if their rotors will do any better because they need to meet the specs of the system and have the same thickness requirements. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3 STEP TORQUE PROCEEDURE DONE EVERY TIME ACCORDING TO MY MECHANIC. ISSUE STILL PROSISTS
Has He done it in sequence, the star pattern, EVERY time? Has he cleaned off the hub face and rotors from any corrosion? The reason I mentioned it is that I ahve seen even the other techs in the shop I work, some great techs, none will do this sequence, but ALL claim they do. All I am saying is I have my doubts that you are being told the truth based only on what I have seen in every shop I have worked. Its a case that the special torque takes more time, and the longer it takes, the less the flat rate tech makes, so they do it quick.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WHAT ARE THE TORQUE STTINGS THAT SHOULD BE USED SO I CAN MAKE SURE IT IS DONE CORRECTLY NEXT TIME.PLUS CLEANING THE HUB WELL. WOULD IT HELP TO PAINT HUB WITH HIGH TEMP PAINT AFTER CLEANING BEFORE TORQUE SEQUENCE IS DONE?

Ok, do not paint the surfaces. What I recommend you do is clean the rotor with a wire brush, wire wheel or anything to get it to clean metal. Have the dealer machine the rotors with an on car lathe and mark their position. This will make sure there is no run out. Then the torque specs are first step, finger tight, second step, 50 ft/lbs, and finally 100ft/lbs, torqued with a torque wrench, not an impact and torque stick. All of the steps use the pattern below. Make sure they measure the run out and thickness afterwards.

Here are some of the important notes on the document.

Notice: A torque wrench must be used to ensure that wheel nuts are tightened to specification. Never use lubricants or penetrating fluids on wheel stud, nuts, or mounting surfaces, as this can raise the actual torque on the nut without a corresponding torque reading on the torque wrench. Wheel nuts, studs, and mounting surfaces must be clean and dry. Failure to follow these instructions could result in wheel, nut, and/or stud damage.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important: Tighten the nuts evenly and alternately in the sequence shown, in order to avoid excessive runout.

Object Number: 971  Size: SH

GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well my friend I am back. I took the car to my mechanic and watched them install new factory rotors after cleaning the hubs of any debie or rust. They used your torque specs of hand tight, 50lb and then 100lb in the star rotational pattern that you suggested.They used a craftsman torque wrench to accomplish this with me standing over them to make sure it was done correctly ( they did not like this and I had to sign a waiver to be in their shop). The car has been driven around town and was driven to Atlanta from New Symerna Beach and back one time the only drivers are my wife and myself.Car has less than 3000 miles since this was done. I am here to tell you the advice I paid you for is toally BOGUS!!!!!!. In less than 3000 miles the shudder is back as bad as ever when braking. Any more bright ideas? As you can tell I am not happy about paying for bogus advise.
Awaiting your responce! Jim Worcester

I am sorry Jim. I can honestly say that every case that I have had with the shudder, has been fixed or avoided by this method. I agree that you should not pay for this, so I will contact the moderators and request a refund of the money you paid, even the bonus.

I have been talking to another expert about your concern and his comments are about the slides and possible dirt/corrosion in the slides as well as the mounting surfaces.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You do not need to refund any of the money or bonus funds, consider it my part of an economic stimulus package.Would like to know if you have an opinion on the use of a DecelaRotor sold by summit racing, this is slotted, cross drilled, and balanced. With the use of EBC Redstuff ceramic brake pads. I do not know if you have any experiance or opinion on this. Please let me know,also keep this problem in mind I would love to hear if anyone does run across a perminent solution.
Jim Worcester
Too late, I have sent the request. I am looking at other after market solutions as we speak, and I am talking to another expert. He has stressed the possibility of the slides and other brake hardware sticking in any way. Could this be possible?

Here is a comment from another expert.

cross drilled rotors are very good, but there is still no substitute for good caliper float pins. Don'T clean them and grease them.. change them!!