John, master tech
Experience:  a1-a8,l1,t2,b5 ASE.triple chrys master tech.HEV spec.

Blown..the fuse box started smoking and smelled like burnt plastic

i went to put a new fuse in where 1 was blown out and the fuse box started smoking and smelled like burnt plastic
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2003 Pontiac grand prix v6 3800 sires II

tried to put in new fuse when fuse box started smoking
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Which fuse number is XXXXX?

Is the fuse holder clips tight against the fuse or is the fuse box holder melted?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is the fuse for the cig ligher they are tight
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Is anything stuck in the cig lighter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no there is nothing stuck. but part of the radio display is not working
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

There three thing on this circuit.the power outlet,cig lighter and the ashtray bulb.

You will want to disconnect each one of these to see if the short is in one of them first.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this a problem i should really worry about causing a fire. why would it make the radio display not wrok
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

If there is a loose connection it will cause heat,if you leave the fuse out it should be ok.

If you want I can send you how to take it apart to test?

Does any of the dash light come on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
evrything else in the car works perfectly except for the cig outlets and the radio display light
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The fuse for this is next to the one that blowing out it might have melted on the back side of the fuse box.There not on the same circuit.

You might try disconnecting the negitive battery cable to see if it will reset if possible.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you every much for your time
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Your welcome.

Please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer

John, master tech
Experience: a1-a8,l1,t2,b5 ASE.triple chrys master tech.HEV spec.