Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

What tools are required for replacing the rear hub/bearing

What tools are required for replacing the rear hub/bearing on a 2003 Pontiac Vibe? Also for replacing the brakes. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

You will need a metric socket set and ratchet as well as a torque wrench to complete these repairs. You will also need a jack and a jack stand to safely support the vehicle while performing repairs. If the rear brakes are drum brakes, a set of brake spring pliers will also be necessary. Here is the procedure to replace the rear hub/bearing.

Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub Replacement (FWD)

Removal Procedure

1. If the vehicle has rear disc brakes, remove the rear brake rotor.
  2. If the vehicle has rear drum brakes, remove the brake drum. Object Number: 829423  Size: SH

3. If the vehicle has ABS, disconnect the rear wheel speed sensor connector (3). Position the connector to the side.
  4. Remove the 4 bolts (1,2,4,5).
  5. Remove the wheel bearing and hub assembly.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 829423  Size: SH

1. Install the wheel bearing and hub assembly and the 4 bolts (1,2,4,5).

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 61 N·m (45.0 lb ft).

2. Connect the rear wheel speed sensor connector (3).
  3. If the vehicle has rear drum brakes, install the brake drum.
  4. If the vehicle has rear disc brakes, install the rear brake rotor.
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well apparently I am a female idiot as my husband is telling me I asked the wrong question. What he wants to know is this: He needs to release the brake drum. Are they the two screw holes on top of the hub? If so what size? Tina
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
The threaded holes on the brake drum can be used to remove the brake drum. The size bolt to use in these holes is typically an 8mm metric bolt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am replacing the rear brakes at the same time as doing the hub/bearing, is there anything special I should know? Is there anything you can tell me to make this process easier? Does it automatically reset once installed? I am also doing the front brakes.

Also, the links above for the removal/istallation process won't link. It is telling me we are not authorized to view it. Tnx

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

When replacing the brake shoes, do one side at a time. That way if you get into a bind you can look at the other side to see how things go back together. There is an adjustment for the rear drum brakes at the adjuster wheel. (toothed wheel at between brake shoes at the lower edge). Adjust until there is very slight drag while turning brake drum. There is an access slot in the backing plate that will allow adjustment with a screwdriver.

Object Number: 239084  Size: SH

The front disk brakes have no adjustment. To install the pads you will have to compress the caliper piston back into the caliper bore. This is most easily done with a C-clamp. The front brakes will adjust themselves after the brake pedal is pumped a few times. Make sure to pump up the brakes prior to driving the vehicle.