tech364
tech364, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  worked at a GMC,Cadillac,Pontiac dealer, GM trained in all models
13910010

2002 Pontiac Grand AM V6. Will not start with to solenoid

Customer Question

2002 Pontiac Grand AM V6. Will not start with to solenoid click or anything else. Battery is new and this fault was supposidly repaired by mechnic at shop when they fitted a new ignition switch. It happened again three weeks later and I got toed in again. This time they saisd they could find nothing wrong but after two days it just started again. Now it's happened again on our driveway right in time to stop us going Christmas shopping.   Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Jumping it with a boost des nothing and charging the battery does nothing either.....it's an electrical intermittant issue I think. You can email me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if you wish.    Thank you so much.    Bob ( Vancouver BC )
Submitted: 5 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tech364 replied 5 years ago.
welcome bob, we are unable to contact away from the site we can carry correspondence through this site,have you tried to switch the starter relay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

when it was toes in by BCAA on the two occasions, the shop said they checked everything including the starter relay and could find nothing. On the first visit they decided it was a new igntiion switch required and they fitted one. Four days later the same thing happened in home depot parking lot and I had to be toed back to the shop again. They used their computers and said they could find nothing wrong, then after about two days they called me to say they tried it again and it just started by itself.

Strange I thought.....why install and charge for a new ignition switch if that was not the problem in the first place.

There is lots of power for lights etc. but totally nothing when you turn the key to start, not even the click of a relay or solenoid. It certainly is a mystery that I would love you to solve once and for all. It must be harder for you when you don't have the vehicle with you there. Best of luck. Bob

Expert:  tech364 replied 5 years ago.
is there a condition that seems to make it worse like rain or heat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not really. I have been aware of weather conditions and of course, right now it is snowing heavy, but it just seems to take a notion and happen for no apparent reason.

Is it possible that the computer need reset? I noticed this option on some of the other posts but I don't know how to do it. When it's working fine, it can go for ages with no real problems but when this happens....oh boy! If I cann the BCAA, they will test it and say it is the ignition switch again and toe in in to the shop so then they can charge more money without really finding the problem.

Thank you again for your assistance in this one.

Bob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Again......Wink

Guess what ? I have managed to get it going now and it seems the problem was the same as many of those mentioned on this site. The security light started blinking and so, I turned the ignition off, then turned it on to the first position and left itlike that for over ten minutes. when I went back to the car, I turned the key to off then tried starting it and it instantly kicked into life at last. This fault seems to be very common by the number of posts on this site about it. It was actually my Wife who noticed the one about the security light, so for now our problem is solved. That you for your efforts anyway.

Cheers

Bob

Expert:  tech364 replied 5 years ago.

ok if your security light stays on you have a problem with this system, but if you have a security problem it will crank and not start or start and die, the security only disables the injectors not the starter.if you need anymore info i will be glad to help just send me a post and thank you for using just answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tech 364,

the security light went off alright and I took the car out for gas, switched off at the gas station then it started up fine again. So, from what I have been reading since, this security system seems to be a BIG problem with many Pontiac owners and GM have never offer to do anything about it on a call back.

Thank you for your assistance. It's a great site and a great idea. Maybe I should register with it as an expert on all trades construction related problems in people's homes. Have a wonderful Christmas holiday.

Bob

Expert:  tech364 replied 5 years ago.

thats a good idea experts are always needed.i dont know of a recall but they do have problems with this, if your key is worn it can also cause problems. if it happens again the passlock sensor on the key cylinder is the most common problem.i am glad i could help and you have a merry christmas too. thank you for using just answer.

tech364, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: worked at a GMC,Cadillac,Pontiac dealer, GM trained in all models
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  tech364 replied 5 years ago.
your welcome and merry christmas