Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  29 Years Repair Experience, Interprovincially Licenced Auto Mechanic (Canada)
12136997

My 2004 Grand Prix heater blower motor works sporadicaly.

Customer Question

My 2004 Grand Prix heater blower motor works sporadicaly. It will work fine for weeks then not work for several days, and then start working again. I did notice that the blower seems to labor at times. Can you offer any help?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  gunny44 replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

It sounds like either the blower motor armature is wearing out or the blower squirrel cage is full of debrie such as leaves or animal nesting. Either way the blower has to be removed. If it is full of debrie clean it out and see if the cage turns freely then reinstall it and see how it works. If not the blower motor itself will need replacing. Don't allow this to go on too long because you run the risk of burning out the blower resistor.

Regards. Gunny44

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me where the armature and the squirrel cage are located?

Expert:  gunny44 replied 5 years ago.

The armature (internal component) is part of the blower motor itself. The squirrel cage is attached to the blower motor and all comes out as an assembly.

Under the right (passenger) side of the dash, here is the best picture I could find. It is not that hard to remove. 3 or 4 screws hold the whole blower assembly in the heater box. Looking straight up from the floor you will see the blower. Circular shape going into a flat pancake type of look. One electrical connector and 3 or 4 screws.

BLOWER MOTOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the right side instrument panel insulator.
  2. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.

1. Remove the blower motor mounting bolts.
  2. Remove the blower motor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the blower motor. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the blower motor bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 1.3 N.m (12 lb in) .

1. Connect the blower motor electrical connector.
  2. Install the right side instrument panel insulator.

If this helps please accept the answer. Thank you.

Gunny44

Expert:  gunny44 replied 5 years ago.

Found more info to help. Recheck previous post (answer)

Gunny44

Expert:  gunny44 replied 5 years ago.

Found more info to help. Scroll up to recheck previous post (answer)

Gunny44

We may have overlaped in our responses so I will send this again.

gunny44, Pontiac Technician
Experience: Pontiac technician from 1986 to 2002. Current Kia and Isuzu Technician/Foreman
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you please re-send the diagrams for removal and installation. I saved the messages from before but for some reason they wont open up now. Thank you.
Expert:  gunny44 replied 5 years ago.
I'll try again
Expert:  gunny44 replied 5 years ago.

BLOWER MOTOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

2. Remove the blower motor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

THIS IS ANOTHER EXPERT.

I see that the images are not showing up on the previous posts. I have uploaded a copy of this document and I have included 2 extra pages covering a TSB on a potential problem with the blower control module caused by a voltage spike in the WIPER system. I'd suggest you find out if this modification has been done.

Click HERE to download this document. You can save it to your desktop if you RIGHT CLICK on the link and select the "save target as" option.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Glenn,

The instructions for installing the capacitor say the postive end attaches to the red wire, and the negative to the black. It does not say to cut the wires, but to simply strip off the insulation. So the capacitor actually "bridges" the two wires?? Please let me know. I will "accept" your reply when received.

I also hear what sounds like water shifting around on the passengers side dash area when I first back the car up and stop. I have removed the fan motor and find no evidence of water. Could this be related?

Thanks

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the capacitor is installed in "parallel" with the motor. As you say, it bridges the two circuits.

Water shifting... hmmm, there's probably some water in the bottom of the heater box. The drain may be plugged or frozen. Either that, or the heater core is not fully filled and you're hearing the sound of the coolant moving in the heater core.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 29 Years Repair Experience, Interprovincially Licenced Auto Mechanic (Canada)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Glenn,

Just wanted to say thank you very much. I added the capaitor per your instructions and everything seems to be working great. The blower has not stopped running (unless I turn it off) and the blower no longer labors. Seems like I am in good shape. Thanks again.

Customer/p>
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Thanks again for the accept and thanks for the followup message confirming the repair. That's always appreciated.

Thank you for using Just Answer.