Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  29 Years Repair Experience, Interprovincially Licenced Auto Mechanic (Canada)

Pontiac Heater Blower Motor Works Sporadically.

2004 Grand Prix heater blower motor works sporadically. It will work fine for weeks then not work for several days, and then start working again. I did notice that the blower seems to labor at times.

Can you offer any help?

It sounds like either the blower motor armature is wearing out or the blower squirrel cage is full of debris such as leaves or animal nesting. Either way the blower has to be removed. If it is full of debris clean it out and see if the cage turns freely then reinstall it and see how it works. If not the blower motor itself will need replacing.

Don't allow this to go on too long because you run the risk of burning out the blower resistor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me where the armature and the squirrel cage are located?

The armature (internal component) is part of the blower motor itself. The squirrel cage is attached to the blower motor and all come out as an assembly. Under the right (passenger) side of the dash, here is the best picture I could find. It is not that hard to remove. Three or four screws hold the whole blower assembly in the heater box. Looking straight up from the floor you will see the blower. It is circular shape going into a flat pancake type of look. It has one electrical connector and three or four screws.

1. Remove the right side instrument panel insulator.
  2. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
  1. Remove the blower motor mounting bolts.
  2. Remove the blower motor.

1. Install the blower motor. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the blower motor bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 1.3 N.m (12 lb in) .
  1. Connect the blower motor electrical connector.
  2. Install the right side instrument panel insulator.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The instructions for installing the capacitor say the positive end attaches to the red wire, and the negative to the black. It does not say to cut the wires, but to simply strip off the insulation. So the capacitor actually "bridges" the two wires? Please let me know.

I also hear what sounds like water shifting around on the passenger’s side dash area when I first back the car up and stop. I have removed the fan motor and find no evidence of water. Could this be related?

Yes, the capacitor is installed in "parallel" with the motor. As you say, it bridges the two circuits.

There’s probably some water in the bottom of the heater box. The drain may be plugged or frozen. Either that, or the heater core is not fully filled and you're hearing the sound of the coolant moving in the heater core.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 29 Years Repair Experience, Interprovincially Licenced Auto Mechanic (Canada)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just wanted to say thank you very much. I added the capacitor per your instructions and everything seems to be working great. The blower has not stopped running (unless I turn it off) and the blower no longer labors. It appears I am in good shape, thanks again.

Thanks for the follow-up message confirming the repair. That's always appreciated.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.