Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

Acetone like smell inside of water supply. Smell was

Acetone like smell inside of water supply. Smell was extremely pungent especially in my icemaker. But also noticeable less inside of my faucet and other areas. Why is it so pungent inside of my icemaker but not so much in my water supply? And also what on earth could be causing this? As of right now the noticeability has significantly reduce after a few days. But is more so still evident in my icemaker but nearly gone or not noticeable at all in my faucets anymore.

I can only speculate the cause, but I would guess there was a water main break in your area and you are smelling the results of chemicals used in the repair.

As to why you can smell it more in the ice, is because the ice sits in an enclosed space longer so the smell concentrates. If you have concerns, take a water sample to your local water treatement facility

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I appreciate that, that's exactly what others have speculated so it does make more sense now that is confirmed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only other answer I've ever gotten was I don't know.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But one of the other local repairman said the exact same thing, said that acetone is used to clear flux off pipe so more than likely that's what happened.

A charcoal filter would remove that smell.