Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a claw foot tub going in and I want the faucet that

Customer Question

hi yes I have a claw foot tub going in and I want the faucet that includes the handheld shower BUT I also want a shower I didn't want the shower to be external so it will be in the wall so.... my question ... can I have a shower and tub in serial with separate faucets and what valuve do I need to make that happen
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: not severe I'm installing now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: okay ... the shower plumbing will be behind the wall, I will have a mounted faucet for the tub but I want separate on and off for both of them if that makes better sense
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Shower valves and piping to the head are never recessed in a wall for a claw foot tub. Only recessed/built in tubs have concealed piping. That said if you want recessed piping there's really no reason you can't except that the shower head would have to be an over head rain head with piping out of the ceiling. A shower arm out of the wall would be have to be too long and would likely break. You can use any conventional shower valve for the recessed head and use a more typical tub mounted valve for the hand shower.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want separate on off values for the shower and tub
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

What I just described would do that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to know what valve I need to run the shower and tub in serial with different on off faucets.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

There are literally hundreds of options and I have no idea what your taste is. All I can do is give you a general description. It's up to you to choose the style and finish. Again, you can use any conventional recessed shower valve for the one in the wall and a more typical tub mounted valve for the tub.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

If you need help in making the selection your best bet is to go to a bath show room and talk to a designer for some ideas/options