Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Our externally mounted RL94 Rinnai - which was installed

Customer Question

Our externally mounted RL94 Rinnai - which was installed only last year - has frozen up due to 15 degree weather. What do we do now? We are in Texas and weather should warm up tomorrow or later today
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It only froze up this morning. We have had weather this cold last month and it didn't happen. But perhaps it was as cold as long then.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We are reading the manual. It says to first turn off the electrical - and then the gas and wait for it to thaw.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We just do not want to damage the unit. Is there anything else we should do. It looks to me as though only the HOT water line is insulated. The cold water is not. But oddly enough the cold water IS running and hot is NOT
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Thermostat is set to 120. Have no idea about the filters or where they are located.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Also open a hot water faucet and leave it open as long as someone is home and awake until it starts flowing again. The filter question is not relevant here. Also the heater should have been set up for freeze protection but that won't necessarily prevent the pipes nearby from freezing. You might want to wrap the pipes in heat tape and insulation just in case this happens again.