Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My garbage disposal stopped worker but it hums when i turn

Customer Question

My garbage disposal stopped worker but it hums when i turn it on. What is wrong with it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It just happened this past sunday. In the middle of using it. It stopped functioning like its locked up. I tried to feel around in ti but I can't feel anything stuck.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Either there is something you can't detect that's jamming it up or the motor has seized and you need a new one. If it's an In Sink Erator then there's a socket for a 1/4" allen wrench in the bottom center. Turn the power off to it then insert the offset allen wrench that came with it into the socket and try turning it. If you don't have a wrench then you can stick a wooden broom handle into the sink opening and try prying/turning the plate (grab one of the cutter pivots with the handle) with the broom handle. If nothing works you'll have to replace it.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have more questions?