Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a funky addition on my home that a previous owner

Customer Question

I have a funky addition on my home that a previous owner did, and the plumbing was poorly conceived. Due to the nature of the plumbing I've had the pipes in that section freeze and burst 3 times since I've lived here. This area is serviced by a separate water heater than the rest of the house, so I can shut it off and still have water elsewhere. We have very cold temps coming over the next 48 hours and I'm worried it will happen again. In the past these pipes froze with the water dripping once, and another time I shut the water off, drained the best I could, and they still froze. Any other suggestions? The problem with shutting water off is it is difficult to drain much from these lines because the only outlets are a toilet, a sink, and the washing machine. The supply lines are in the floor, so gravity does not play a role in draining the lines, if that makes sense. Would it help if I shut water off at the main while the valve at the sink and at the washing machine (disconnect lines from the wash machine and direct them down the drain) are open, and then leave them open while the water remains off to relieve pressure in the lines if they start to freeze?Thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Letting the faucets just drip is useless. You need to let all the faucets run a pencil stream (hot & cold side) and adjust the toilet tank water level so it runs over the top of the overflow pipe. The other option is to shut the water off, drain the lines then blow the lines out with an air compressor. Heat tape and insulation might be a better long term solution.