Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

How will i reinstall this part of the shower?

Customer Question

how will i reinstall this part of the shower ?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also how do i remove the faucet n handle?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Your pic doesn't indicate what part you're referring to. There should be a set screw in the handle base under the lever that holds the handel in place.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I'll find that. I'm talking about the white part around the handels covering up all the pipes.
Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

Well, that is an unusual setting :)

Often you have a "trap door" the other side of the wall. In this case it look like they made the trap over the ceramic so the whole big square would unscrew and this would let the vertical rectangle part alone hanging on the pipe. You then probably can see how to unscrew the robinetry with a wrench. That is my guess to that curious installation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, but when im done workin on the pipes, what do I use to reinstall it other than the screws? Can't be just caulk right?
Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

Ideally, the good way would be to not do it just like it is but make an access trap on the other side of the wall (i have not enough detail right now on that wall).

We also don't know if water got in there over time, you may have big surprise (rotted structure, mold...) that require lot of additional work.

"IF" everything is fine, it probably because the small vertical rectangle have a big enough overlap to provide enough surface to act like a flange that can make it water tight with enough caulk. You can also seat the robinetry on a thin silicon ring (that cured before, then you can screw the faucet to have a good pressure on it).

I don't know what the back panel material is for that frame. Again if no water got in it might be a water proof material that cover all the back of the frame. Meaning only the screw holes are to make sure no water will go past them. The area just at the bottom of the panel touching the bath will have to be checked also.