Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

My house is 10 years old. One of the bolts that connects the

Customer Question

My house is 10 years old. One of the bolts that connects the tank of my toilet to its base, started leaking. I'm guessing that is was the rubber washer that detiorated (?sp) over time. Should I replace all the rubber washers in the other toilets in my home?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I noticed yesterday that the bath mat that is infront of the toilet was damp. When I vacuumed 3 days before I did not notice any moisture on the floor in that area, so I'm guessing only a few days for that toilet.
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: No, I looked in the basement and can't see any moist wood.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If all that is involved is replacing the washer, yes. I already gone to the plumbing supply store purchased a Mansfield kit that had 3 bolts and nuts, then replaced the offending bolt. I've got a jar underneath the previously leaking bolt to check if the new one is working correctly (i.e. not leaking).
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My question is should I replace all the bolts in toilets that are right now dry?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

No need to replace all the rubber washers in the other toilets. I suspect the leaking bolt wasn't tight enough. These rubber washers usually last decades unless a chlorine based cleaner was hung in the tank.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The new Mansfield replacement package did not have a regular bolt, rubber washer for inside the tank and then a thin metal washer and nut for outside the tank. The new bolt had a kind of spiral rubber about 0.5" thick leading to a rubber thumb-type head instead of the slitted head that was on the old one. There was a plastic nut that was also designed to be tightened by thumb and finger. I bought it because it had the Mansfield name on it rather than just a generic bolt, washer nut. The new bolt & washer looks to me to be designed to only be hand tightened rather than using slitted screw driver and plyers. Is that what the industry is going to now?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry but you're better off with generic brass bolts with a brass hex nut. I'm not a Mansfield fan.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

However if your Mansfield kit came with a rubber donut for the flush valve that should be a suitable fit for this brand.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Do you have more questions?