Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

When we begin to take a shower the hot water goes out and

Customer Question

When we begin to take a shower the hot water goes out and the 10 code comes up on the controller. Once we turn it off and then back on and wait 5 minutes the hot water is back. This happens every day.
The Rinnai is 5 years old.
What can we do to fix the problem?
Thanks for your prompt response.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

How old is the unit? Was it professionally installed?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

This has been an issue ever since it was installed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The unit was installed when the house was built 7 years ago by the contractor.
This is the first time we have had this problem.
Thanks for your prompt attention.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

If you look on the vent coming out of the top of the unit, do you see a clear, flexible tube on a barb? If so, will you check that out is clear by pulling it off? When you pull it off, did water come out? Do you still have the manual? If so, will you also confirm that the dip switch settings are correct? The manual has directions but if there is any doubt at all, do not adjust them. You can still confirm that they are in the correct settings to the best of your ability, but if they seem to be on the wrong setting but you are not sure, do not adjust them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mike,
The tube coming out of the top of the unit is clear and there was no water in it.
We do not have the manual.
I believe the temp setting are correct.
The setting control in the house goes to the number 10 where the temp is usually listed when this happens. The temp is set at 140F.
Once i reset it and wait 5 minutes we have hot water again. I was told that the 10 is not the temp but a code from Rinnnai that indicates a problem.
Any other ideas ????
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

The temp setting is different than the dip switch settings. You would have to remove the cover to check that. The dip switch settings are for the max temperature setting and the elevation that you are at. The manual should be in the pouch that is taped to the unit itself. The error code can be caused by a couple of things but most of the time is an issue with the venting or the dip switch settings. The dip switch settings are a moderately difficult issue to inspect but if it is related to the venting it will require some professional help unless you are quite familiar with venting issues and how to repair. The venting requirements are also defined in the manual but are also not really a novice level type of issue to address.